Lincoln County, North Carolina
Caldwell-Cobb-Love House Emanuel United Church of Christ Emmanuel Lutheran Church Eureka Manufacturing Company Cotton Mill First Baptist Church First Presbyterian Church First United Methodist Church Graham, William A., Jr., Farm Ingleside Laboratory Historic District Lincoln County Courthouse Lincolnton Commercial Historic District Lincolnton Recreation Department Youth Center Loretz House Magnolia Grove Magnolia Grove (Boundary Increase) Methodist Church Cemetery Mount Welcome Old White Church Cemetery Pleasant Retreat Academy Reinhardt-Craig House, Kiln and Pottery Shop Rock Spring Camp Ground Salem Union Church and Cemetery Seagle, Andrew, Farm Shadow Lawn South Aspen Street Historic District St. Luke's Church and Cemetery Tucker's Grove Camp Meeting Ground Vesuvius Furnace West Main Street Historic District Woodside
André Michaux Andrew Loretz Battle of Ramsour's Mill Catawba Springs Cemetery Confederate Laboratory Connie M. Guion Cottage Home Daniel E. Rhyne / Laboratory Historic District Daniels Church Early Trans~Catawba History Gen. Charles A. Gabriel Hiram R. Revels Ingleside Iron Works J.G. Arends James Pinckney Henderson Lincoln County War Memorial Machpelah Cemetery Michael Hoke North State Hotel Peter Forney Pottery Industry Robert F. Hoke Rufus Z. Johnston Schenck-Warlick Mill Stephen D. Ramseur Stonewall Jackson The Battle of Ramsour's Mill The Battle of Ramsour's Mill The John Martin Shuford Gravesite The Patriot Captains' Gravesite U.D.C. Memorial Hall Veterans Memorial Plaza William A. Graham William A. Hoke "Old White Church" Cemetery / " Old White Church "
The first European settlers arrived in the late 1700s, establishing small farming communities and contributing to the development of the region. The county was officially formed in 1779 and named after Revolutionary War General Benjamin Lincoln. During this time, agriculture, particularly cotton production, became the main economic activity in the area, with numerous plantations dotting the landscape.
In the mid-1800s, Lincoln County experienced significant growth with the arrival of the railroad. The rail lines connected the county to larger markets and facilitated the transport of goods and resources, leading to the establishment of industries such as textiles and furniture manufacturing. This period of industrialization brought prosperity and population growth to the county.
During the Civil War, Lincoln County faced challenges, as it was located in a border state. The county was divided in its loyalties, experiencing conflicts between Confederate and Union sympathizers. It also became a strategic location for military operations, witnessing several skirmishes and battles.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Lincoln County continued to evolve, transitioning from an agrarian economy to a more diversified one. The county witnessed further growth in industries such as textiles, agriculture, and manufacturing. Today, Lincoln County remains a vibrant community with a mix of rural and urban areas, displaying its proud history through its various historical sites and landmarks.
Brief timeline of the history of Lincoln County, North Carolina:
- 1779 - Lincoln County is established in North Carolina.
- 1780 - Battle of Ramsour's Mill takes place during the American Revolutionary War.
- 1824 - The county seat is established in Lincolnton.
- 1865 - Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrenders, marking the end of the American Civil War.
- 1873 - The county's first railroad, the Carolina Central Railroad, is completed.
- 1921 - The B.A. Cline Store is built, which becomes a famous local landmark.
- 1962 - Lake Norman is created by the construction of the Cowans Ford Dam.
- 1987 - The Lincoln County Courthouse is destroyed by fire.
This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Lincoln County, North Carolina.