National Register Listings in
St. Louis County, Missouri

Affton High School Alswel Archambault House Assumption Greek Orthodox Church Atwood, John C. and Georgie, House Aubuchon, August, House Aubuchon, Baptiste G., House B'Nai Amoona Synogogue Ball-Essen Farmstead Historic District Bank of St. Ann Barretts Tunnels Barteau House Barton House Bassett, Dr. Samuel A., Office and Residence Bayley, Romanzo N., House Bellecourt Apartments Bennett Avenue Historic District Benoist, Louis Auguste, House Beverly Theater Big Chief Restaurant Bissell, Gen. Daniel, House Blake, John P. and Dora, House Bockwrath-Wiese House Bopp, William, House Bouas House Brentmoor Park, Brentmoor and Forest Ridge District Burkhardt Historic District Burkhardt Historic District (Boundary Increase) Cape, Dr. Leander W., Buildings Carney-Keightley House Carrswold Historic District Casa Alvarez Central Webster Historic District Charbonier Bluff Church Street Commercial District Clarke, Judge Enos, House Claverach Park Coldwater Cemetery Comfort, James H. and Marietta, House Coral Court Motel Cori House Cragwold Curtiss-Wright Aeroplane Factory Czufin, Rudolph and Dorothy C., House Des Peres Presbyterian Church Donaldson Court Apartments Douglas House Downtown Kirkwood Historic District Downtown YMCA Building Dr. Edmund A. Babler Memorial State Park Historic District Dreer, Dr. Herman S., House East Monroe Historic District Fairfax House Farmers State Bank of Chesterfield Ferguson School Central School Ferguson, Charles W., House Fishback, George W. and Virginia, House Franklin School Garrett, Louisa, House Glen Echo Historic District Goldbeck House Gorlock Building Grace Episcopal Church Gravois-Jefferson Streetcar Suburb Historic District Greenwood Cemetery Greenwood Historic District Haarstick-Whittemore Houses Halsey, Egbert W., Cottage Hammerman, Harry, House Hampton Park Hanley, Martin Franklin, House Hanson House Hawken House Hawthorne, Nathaniel, Elementary School Henry Avenue Historic District Hi-Pointe-De Mun Historic District Hi-Pointe-De Mun Historic District (Boundary Increase) Hubecky House Hunt, Wilson Price, House J. Milton Turner School Jefferson Barracks Historic District Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery Jefferson-Argonne Historic District Keith, David, House Kirkwood Missouri Pacific Depot Koch, Robert, Hospital Kramer House Kraus, Russell and Ruth Goetz, House Kreienkamp Store Kuehn House Ladue Estates Lance House Laramie, Marcus, House Larimore, Wilson, House Lee, Robert E., Hotel Link, Theodore, Historic Buildings Long, William, Log House Lyceum, The Manchester Methodist Episcopal Church Maplewood Commercial Historic District at Manchester and Sutton Maplewood Historic Commercial District Marshall Place Historic District Maryland Terrace Historic District McGarry House McLagan, Lizzie, House McMullen, Patrick and Moire, House McPherson-Holland House Meramec River U.S. Bridge - J421 Meyer House Missouri Electric Light and Power Co. Missouri Pacifc Building Moellring, Frank, House Moller House Moorlands Addition Apartment District Mount Hope Cemetery Mudd's Grove Murphy, Joseph and Ann, Residence Myers, John B., House Myers, John B., House and Barn (Boundary Increase) Narrow Gauge Railroad Station New Mount Sinai Cemetery Nicolay House Nims Mansion Nipher, Prof. Frances e., House North Taylor Avenue Historic District Norwood Hills Country Club Old Ferguson West Historic District Old Stone Church Old Webster Historic District Olive Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church Orrville Historic District Osage Hills School Parkview Historic District Pasadena Hills Historic District Patterson, Elisha and Lucy, Farmstead Historic District Payne-Gentry House Peters House Pine Lawn Carriage House Plant, Samuel, House Pond School Price School Pruitt School Pundt Brothers-Garavaglia Grocery Buildings Ramsey Accessories Manufacturing Corporation Rannells, Charles S. and Mary Warder, House Reber Place Historic District Red Cedar Inn Reeb House Richter, Theodore and Lena, House Rickelman House Ripple, Otto, Agency Robinson, George R. and Elsie, House Rock House, Edgewood Children's Center Rockwood Court Apartments Rott School Sappington, Joseph, House Sappington, Thomas J., House Sappington, Zephaniah, House Saratoga Lanes Building Schmidt House Schoonover House Seed, Miles A., Carriage House Seven Gables Building Shanley Building Smith House St. Ferdinand Central Historic District St. Ferdinand's Shrine Historic District St. Stanislaus Seminary St. Vincent's Hospital Stockstrom, Charles, House Stroer House Sutter-Meyer House Taille de Noyer Taylor-Olive Building Tebeau House Tebeau, Marvin, House Thornhill Tilles, Rosalie, Park Tolhurst, G.W., House Tuxedo Park Christian Church Tuxedo Park Station U.S. Army Publications Distribution Center University City Education District University City Plaza University Heights Subdivision Number One Unsell, Elijah J., House Way, James W. and Mary, House Webster College-Eden Theological Seminary Collegiate District Webster Park Residential Historic District White Haven; Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site Wildwood House Wilkinson School Withington House Wydown-Forsyth District
The Pony Express, a mail delivery service that operated from 1860 to 1861, had a route that went through Missouri. The service used a network of riders and relay stations to transport mail from St. Joseph, Missouri, to Sacramento, California, in just 10 days.
St. Louis County, Missouri has a rich history that spans back to its earliest indigenous inhabitants. Native American tribes, including the Mississippian culture, were the first known settlers in the area. The arrival of French explorers in the late 17th century introduced European contact and the establishment of fur trading posts. However, it was the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 that marked a significant turning point in the history of the region, as St. Louis County became part of the growing United States.

Throughout the 19th century, St. Louis County experienced rapid growth and development. The area became a key trade and transportation hub due to its strategic location along the Mississippi River. The construction of the Erie Canal and later the railroad network further facilitated trade and led to increased industrialization. In the mid-1800s, St. Louis County witnessed an influx of immigrants, particularly from Germany and Ireland, who contributed to the cultural diversity and economic prosperity of the region.

During the 20th century, St. Louis County continued to evolve. The county experienced suburbanization and population growth, as many residents moved out of the city of St. Louis to seek a quieter suburban lifestyle. This trend was accompanied by the development of new residential communities, shopping centers, and infrastructure. However, this increased suburbanization also led to racial segregation and socioeconomic disparities.

In recent years, St. Louis County has faced various social and economic challenges. The county has been a focal point for civil rights movements and protests against racial injustice, highlighted by the events that unfolded in Ferguson in 2014. Efforts have been made to address these issues and promote inclusivity and equality. St. Louis County remains an important economic and cultural center in the Midwest, and its history continues to shape its present and future.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of St. Louis County, Missouri.

  • 1764 - St. Louis County is established by the French, becoming part of the Louisiana Territory.
  • 1804 - The area is acquired by the United States as part of the Louisiana Purchase.
  • 1812 - St. Louis County is organized as a county within the Missouri Territory.
  • 1822 - St. Louis County becomes part of the newly established state of Missouri.
  • 1876 - The city of St. Louis secedes from the county, forming an independent city.
  • 1950s-1960s - Suburbanization begins in St. Louis County, leading to rapid population growth.
  • 2014 - Protests erupt in response to the police shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, a suburb of St. Louis County.