Historical Marker in
Schuyler County, Missouri

The University of Missouri, located in Columbia, was the first public university west of the Mississippi River. It was founded in 1839 and has a long history of academic and athletic excellence.
Schuyler County, Missouri, located in the northeastern part of the state, has a rich and diverse history dating back to its settlement in the early 1800s. The county was named after Philip Schuyler, a general in the American Revolutionary War. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Fox, Sauk, and Iowa tribes.

In 1828, Schuyler County was officially established, and the first European settlers began to arrive. The pioneers primarily engaged in agriculture, with corn and wheat being the primary crops. The county quickly grew, attracting settlers from nearby states who were drawn to the fertile land and abundant resources.

During the American Civil War, Schuyler County was divided, with some residents supporting the Union and others sympathizing with the Confederacy. This led to conflicts and confrontations within the county. However, despite the turmoil, Schuyler County saw growth and development during this time, with the construction of roads, schools, and churches.

In the 20th century, Schuyler County experienced significant changes and advancements. The construction of railroads in the late 1800s and early 1900s brought increased connectivity and economic opportunities. The county also saw improvements in healthcare, education, and infrastructure. Today, Schuyler County remains a close-knit community with a strong agricultural heritage, while also embracing modern advancements for a promising future.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Schuyler County, Missouri.

  • 1843: Schuyler County was established and named after Philip Schuyler, a Revolutionary War general.
  • 1855: The county seat was established in Lancaster.
  • 1858: The St. Louis, Keokuk and Northwestern Railroad was constructed, further developing the county.
  • 1860: The population of Schuyler County reached 6,010 people.
  • 1861-1865: Schuyler County residents participated in the American Civil War, with many serving in Union regiments.
  • 1872: A courthouse, designed by architect John M. Baxter, was completed in the county seat of Lancaster.
  • 1890: The population of Schuyler County peaked at 8,470 individuals.
  • 1893: A devastating tornado struck the town of Lancaster, causing significant damage.
  • 1901: Schuyler County established its first public library in Lancaster.
  • 1924: Construction of the Thomas C. Dakan Memorial Library was completed in Lancaster.
  • 1968: The construction of Thomas Hill Reservoir led to the relocation of the towns of Coxburg and Windyville.
  • 1982: The Bluebird Conservation Area was established to protect native bird populations.