National Register Listings in
Ramsey County, Minnesota

3M Administration Building Arlington Hills Library Armstrong, John M., House Assumption School Beebe, Dr. Ward, House Blair Flats Bridges No. L-5853 and 92247 Brooks, Edward, Sr. and Markell, House Brunson, Benjamin, House Bullard, Casiville, House Burbank-Livingston-Griggs House Butler, Pierce and Walter, House C.S.P.S. Hall Central Presbyterian Church Church of St. Agnes-Catholic Church of St. Bernard-Catholic Church of St. Casimir-Catholic Church of the Assumption-Catholic Cobb, Cyrus B., House Colorado Street Bridge Commerce Building Como Park Conservatory Davern, William and Catherine, Farm House Degree of Honor Protective Association Building Derham Hall and Our Lady of Victory Chapel, College of St. Catherine Euclid View Flats Farmers Union Grain Terminal Association Headquarters Finch, Vanslyck and McConville Dry Goods Company Building First Baptist Church of St. Paul First National Bank of White Bear Fitzgerald, F. Scott, House Fitzpatrick Building Foss House Germania Bank Building Gibbs, Heman, Farmstead Giesen-Hauser House Hamline Methodist Episcopal Church Hamm Building Harriet Island Pavilion Highland Park Tower Hill's James, J., North Oaks Farm, Dairy Building Hill's, James J., North Oaks Farm, Dairy Building, Granary Root Cellar and Auxiliary Buildings, Boundary Increase Hill, James J., House Hinkel, Ann Charlotte and Jacob, House Historic Hill District Hobe, E. H., House-Solheim Holman Field Administration Building Hope Engine Company No. 3 Indian Mounds Park Mound Group Intercity Bridge Irvine Park Historic District Irvine, Horace Hills, House Kellogg, Frank B., House Krank Manufacturing Company Lauer Flats Lee, Olaf, House Lowertown Historic District Luckert, David, House Manhattan Building McGill, Andrew R., House Mendota Road Bridge Merchants National Bank Mickey's Diner Minnesota Boat Club Boathouse on Raspberry Island Minnesota Building Minnesota Historical Society Building Minnesota Milk Company Building Minnesota Mutual Life Insurance Company Building Minnesota State Capitol Muench, Adolf, House Muskego Church Northern Pacific Railway Company Como Shops Historic District Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church Noyes, Charles P., Cottage O'Donnell Shoe Company Building Old Federal Courts Building Old Main, Macalester College Osborn Building Payne Avenue State Bank Pilgrim Baptist Church Pioneer and Endicott Buildings Ramsey County Poor Farm Barn Ramsey, Alexander, House Ramsey, Justus, Stone House Rau/Strong House Riverside Hangar Riverview Branch Library Robert Street Bridge Rochat-Louise-Sauerwein Block Roselawn Chapel and Administration Building Salvation Army Women's Home and Hospital Schmidt, Jacob, Brewing Company Historic District Schneider, Charles W., House Schornstein Grocery and Saloon Seventh Street Improvement Arches Shubert, Sam S., Theatre and Shubert Building Spangenberg, Frederick, House St. Agatha's Conservatory of Music and Arts St. Anthony Park Branch Library St. Joseph's Academy St. Matthew's School St. Paul Casket Company St. Paul Cathedral-Catholic St. Paul City Hall and Ramsey County Courthouse St. Paul Municipal Grain Terminal St. Paul Public/James J. Hill Reference Library St. Paul Union Depot St. Paul Union Depot (Boundary Increase) St. Paul Women's City Club St. Paul, Minneapolis and Manitoba Railway Company Shops Historic District Boundary Increase St. Paul, Minneapolis, & Manitoba Railway Company Shops Historic District Superior Packing Company Plant Thompson, Charles, Memorial Hall Triune Masonic Temple United Church Seminary United States Bedding Company United States Post Office and Custom House University Hall-Old Main, Hamline University Vienna and Earl Apartment Buildings Walsh Building Watson, Dwight H. and Clara M., House (Additional Documentation) West Summit Avenue Historic District White Bear Lake Armory Woodland Park Baptist Church Woodland Park District Yoerg, Anthony, Sr., House
Minnesota is home to the largest ball of twine ever rolled by one person. Francis A. Johnson started rolling the ball in 1950 and continued to add to it until his death in 1989. The ball weighs over 17,000 pounds and has a circumference of 40 feet.
Ramsey County, located in the eastern part of Minnesota, has a rich and diverse history dating back thousands of years. The area was initially inhabited by Native American tribes such as the Dakota and Ojibwe, who relied on the Mississippi River for trade and sustenance. The arrival of French fur traders in the 17th century brought significant changes to the region, leading to European settlement.

In the 19th century, Ramsey County was established as one of Minnesota's original nine counties in 1849. The county derived its name from Alexander Ramsey, the first territorial governor of Minnesota. The area began to develop rapidly, with the construction of the state's first railroad in 1862, connecting St. Paul (the county seat) with the rest of Minnesota and pushing economic growth.

During the late 19th century, St. Paul became a major center for trade and transportation, with its location on the Mississippi River and proximity to railways. The city witnessed significant industrialization, attracting diverse industries such as milling, meatpacking, and brewing. The population of the county expanded rapidly, attracting immigrants from various European countries who sought employment opportunities.

In the 20th century, Ramsey County continued to grow and diversify. It played a critical role in World War II as the site of the Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant, which produced munitions for the war effort. The county also faced challenges, including racial tensions and urban decay in certain areas. Today, Ramsey County remains a vibrant urban area with a diverse population and a strong economy, characterized by its thriving arts and culture scene, high-quality education, and numerous recreational opportunities.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Ramsey County, Minnesota.

  • 1849 - Ramsey County is established in Minnesota Territory
  • 1850 - St. Paul becomes the county seat
  • 1857 - Land west of the Mississippi River is transferred to Hennepin County
  • 1862 - Dakota tribes are forcibly removed from the county during the U.S.-Dakota War
  • 1889 - Capitol building is completed in St. Paul
  • 1900 - Population of Ramsey County exceeds 200,000
  • 1938 - The Highland Park Water Tower is built
  • 1974 - Landmark Center opens as a cultural center and events venue
  • 1992 - Xcel Energy Center is constructed in downtown St. Paul
  • 2010 - Population of Ramsey County reaches nearly 520,000