Historical Markers in
Nicollet County, Minnesota

A Doctor's Life A Far Cry from Glory A Minority in Their Homeland A Minority in Their Homeland / U.S.-Dakota Conflict A New Deal for Fort Ridgely State Park A River Crossroad Archaeology Attack from the Northeast Bakehouse Bernadotte Co-op Creamery Bernadotte Lutheran Church Bernadotte Lutheran Church Monument Brighton Brighton United Methodist Church Camp Women Captain John S. Marsh State Monument CCC Camp Life is a Healthful One Chief Mou-Zoo-Mau-Nee State Monument Courtland District 6 School Ecakensdonyapi Economic Engine Eliza Müller State Monument Exploring the River Valley Five Days and Nights on the River Fort Ridgely Fort Ridgely Closes Fort Ridgely State Monument Fort Ridgely State Park's Buildings Today Four Days From Fort Snelling Fur Trader Louis Provencalle Garrison Life Was Like Clockwork Geology of Minnesota Joseph LaFramboise - Lafayette Township and Village Land-Seas Log Buildings Ministering to the Dakota New Sweden Creamery New Sweden Indian Attack Nicollet County Veterans Memorial Nicollet Veterans Memorial Norseland Community Norseland Community Norseland Community Norseland Lutheran Church Officers' Latrines Officers' Quarters—A Officers' Quarters—B Officers' Quarters—C Old Traverse Cemetery Powder Magazines Reinforcements Arrive Scandian Grove Evangelical Lutheran Church St. Peter Boat Landing Stone Barracks Surgeon's Quarters—Headquarters Surprise Attack at Redwood Ferry The Bornemann House The Eugene St. Julien Cox House The Old French Cemetery The Rush for Land The Treaty of Traverse des Sioux This Fort Had a Purpose To the Memory of Hazen Mooers Traverse des Sioux Treaty of Traverse Des Sioux Treaty of Traverse des Sioux Site Welcome to Traverse des Sioux Who Lived in the Barracks? Working Year-Round to Develop the Park "Only a Memory Now"
The first skyway system in the United States was built in Minneapolis in 1962, allowing for indoor pedestrian travel between buildings in the downtown area.
Nicollet County, located in southwestern Minnesota, has a rich and diverse history that dates back thousands of years. The area was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Dakota Sioux. These indigenous people lived off the land, engaging in farming, hunting, and trading.

In the early 19th century, European settlers began arriving in the region, attracted by the fertile soil and potential for agricultural development. The township of Traverse des Sioux, located in present-day Nicollet County, emerged as an important trading post for fur traders and indigenous peoples. In 1851, the Traverse des Sioux Treaty was signed, ceding Native American land to the United States government and paving the way for further settlement.

Nicollet County was officially established on March 5, 1853, named after French explorer Joseph Nicollet. The county's first European settlers engaged in farming, primarily growing wheat, corn, and oats. As the region developed, small towns and villages such as St. Peter, North Star, and Lafayette sprang up, serving as centers of commerce and community for the local population.

Over the years, Nicollet County has seen significant growth and progress. The establishment of railroads in the late 19th century connected the county with larger markets, boosting economic opportunities. The county's economy thrived, with the agricultural sector expanding and the introduction of industrialization contributing to its prosperity. Today, Nicollet County continues to evolve, combining its rich history with modern developments and a strong sense of community.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Nicollet County, Minnesota.

  • 1853: Nicollet County is established on March 5.
  • 1854: The county's first courthouse is built in Traverse des Sioux.
  • 1857: St. Peter becomes the county seat.
  • 1862: The Dakota War of 1862 leads to conflict between settlers and the Dakota Sioux.
  • 1866: The county's second courthouse is built in St. Peter.
  • 1875: The State Asylum for the Insane, now known as the Minnesota Security Hospital, is established.
  • 1878: Gustavus Adolphus College is founded in St. Peter.
  • 1893: The county's third courthouse is completed in St. Peter.
  • 1904: The St. Peter State Hospital opens, later renamed the St. Peter Regional Treatment Center.
  • 1949: The construction of the Minnesota River Valley Scenic Byway begins.
  • 1956: Floodwaters from the Minnesota River cause significant damage in St. Peter.
  • 1998: A tornado strikes St. Peter, causing extensive damage.