Historical Markers in
Monroe County, Michigan

A Storied Homestead After the Battle AH-1 Huey Cobra Helicopter American Legion World War I Monument Anderson Trading Post Artillery January 22, 1813 Battle of the River Raisin Memorial Bench Battle of the River Raisin Memorial Bench Battle of the River Raisin Memorial Bench Battles of the River Raisin Boston Custer - Autie Reed Boy Scouts in Monroe County / The Armory Opera House Boyd School Bridge School British Victory at Frenchtown Capt. Norman W. Heck Jr Capture of Gen. Winchester Col. Francis Navarre Colonel Oliver Johnson's Home Death of Capt. Woolfolk Death of Col. John Allen Deloeuil Blacksmith Shop Doctor Eduard Dorsch Dr. George Francis Heath 1850~1908 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Dundee - Hub of the Highways Dundee's Old Mill Editor Ellis, 1825 Edward D. Ellis Eisenmann-Enteman Building Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Estral Beach Veterans Memorial Exeter Township Hall First American Flag First Battle of the River Raisin First District Court First Indian Trading Post First Presbyterian Church Frenchtown Township General George A. Custer George Armstrong Custer Hidden Casualities of War Historic Banner Oak School Historic Crossroad Historic River Raisin Historic State Police Post Historical Museum Holy Ghost Lutheran Church Ida Village / Ida Township In Memory Of All Our Fallen Soldiers Indian Attack Indian Trading Post J. Sterling Morton Joseph Loranger 1817 Lake Erie LaPlaisance Bay LaPlaisance Bay Settlement Luna Pier Veterans Memorial Luna Pier War Memorial Lutherans In Monroe County M29 81mm Mortar Macon Reservation Unit Major-General George Armstrong Custer Melvin C. Dye Memorial Memorial Place Michigan-Ohio Boundary Survey 50th Anniversary Michigan: Historic Crossroads / Michigan: Twenty-Sixth State Michigan's Tribute to Kentucky Milan Village Hall and Fire Barn Monroe Bank and Trust Monroe County and the Civil War / Grand Army of the Republic Monroe County Civil War Fallen Soldiers Memorial Monroe County Since 1817 Monroe County Vietnam Veterans Memorial Monroe County Vietnam Veterans Memorial Tree Monroe Street Bridge Monroe's Soldiers Murder of Captain Hart Navarre - Anderson Trading Post Old Burial Ground Old Hull Road Old Michigan Southern Old Mill Museum Old Whipping Post Peter Seitz Tavern & Stagecoach Inn Port of Monroe Potter Cemetery / Public Act 525 of 2012 POW-MIA Chained Eagle Private Claim 214 of G. Godfroy & J.B. Beaugrand Private Claim 236 Lot of Hubert Lacroix Private Claim 236 Lot of Jean (John) Baptiste Jerome Private Claim 236, Lot of George McDougal Private Claim 96 of Jean (John) Baptist Couture Prohibition in Berlin Township / "A Bootleggers Paradise" River Raisin Legacy Project Roundhead Saint John Evangelical Lutheran Church Sandy Creek Settlement School Bus Safety Mirror Site of Battles of Jan. 18 - 22 Skirmish Line Soldiers and Sailors Park Spaulding Cemetery / Plank Road St. Charles Church St. John the Baptist Catholic Church St. Joseph Sur La Baie St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception St. Patrick Church St. Paul's United Methodist Church Tecumseh's Headquarters The 1st Battle of the River Raisin The 2nd Battle of the River Raisin The American Surrender The Civic Improvement Society of Monroe The Custer Home The Gov. Robt. McCelland House The Mill or Grist Stone The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post The Old Hull Road The Railroad Well The Women Who Served The "Huey" Helicopter Trinity Episcopal Church Trinity Lutheran Church U.S. 17th Infantry Campsite University of Michigan 1838 Veterans Memorial Sidewalk Vietnam P.O.W.'s and M.I.A's Memorial Tree Whiteford Township WW II Memorial "Newton" Strike "Sky Pilot" "War" With Happy Ending
Michigan played a significant role in the Civil War. Over 90,000 Michigan men served in the Union Army, and the state's contributions to the war effort included manufacturing weapons and supplies, providing food and clothing for soldiers, and supporting the Underground Railroad.
Monroe County, Michigan has a rich and diverse history that dates back centuries. The region was originally inhabited by Native American tribes such as the Ottawa and Potawatomi, who relied on the abundant natural resources of the area for their livelihoods. However, in the late 18th century, European settlers began to arrive, led by French fur traders who established trading posts along the River Raisin.

The area experienced significant growth and development in the early 19th century, as Monroe County was officially established in 1817. It soon became a key transportation hub, with the construction of the Erie Canal and later the railroads. This strategic location attracted businesses and industries, turning Monroe County into a thriving economic center. Agriculture, manufacturing, and shipping played crucial roles in the region's growth, making it one of the most prosperous counties in Michigan.

Monroe County also played an important role during the War of 1812. The Battle of Frenchtown, also known as the Battle of the River Raisin, took place in January 1813, resulting in a devastating defeat for American forces. The battle is remembered as one of the bloodiest battles of the war, and its aftermath saw atrocities committed by retreating British forces against American prisoners. This event served as a catalyst for future military operations and ultimately led to the future development of the area.

In more recent history, Monroe County has been a leader in education and conservation efforts. The establishment of Monroe County Community College in 1964 provided accessible higher education opportunities for residents. Meanwhile, the county has made efforts toward environmental preservation, including the creation of Refuge Gateway and the River Raisin National Battlefield Park. These initiatives continue to shape the county's development while honoring its vibrant history.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Monroe County, Michigan.

  • 1817: Monroe County is established as a county in the Michigan Territory.
  • 1830: The Erie Canal is completed, connecting Monroe County to the eastern seaboard and facilitating economic growth.
  • 1831: The city of Monroe, the county seat, is incorporated.
  • 1837: Michigan becomes a state, with Monroe County playing a key role in its formation.
  • 1845: The Great Lakes and the Mississippi River are connected with the opening of the Illinois and Michigan Canal, benefiting Monroe County's shipping industry.
  • 1861-1865: Monroe County residents actively participate in the Civil War, with many joining the Union Army.
  • 1870: The Toledo, Ann Arbor, and Northern Michigan Railway is completed, improving transportation and spurring industrial development.
  • 1892: The iconic Monroe County Courthouse, designed by architects Elijah E. Myers and Claire Allen, is completed.
  • 1904: The Ford Motor Company is founded by Henry Ford in nearby Detroit, leading to economic growth and job opportunities for Monroe County residents.
  • 1959: Monroe County Community College is established, providing higher education opportunities for local residents.
  • 1974: The Monroe Power Plant, one of the largest coal-fired power plants in the United States, begins operations.
  • 1984: The River Raisin National Battlefield Park is established to commemorate the Battles of the River Raisin, which took place during the War of 1812.