National Register Listings in
Kennebec County, Maine

Adams, D. V., Co.-Bussell and Weston Alls Souls Church Androscoggin Yacht Club Augusta City Hall, Former Bailey, Charles M., Library Bailey, Moses, House Bangs, Algernon, House Benton Grange #458 Blaine, James G., House Blossom House Bond Street Historic District Brick School Brown Memorial Library Capitol Complex Historic District Capitol Park Chandler Store China Village Historic District Christ Episcopal Church Cobbossee Lighthouse Colburn House State Historic Site Colburn School Colcord Farmstead Colonial Theater Cony High School Cony, Gov. Samuel, House Crosby Street Historic District Cumston Hall Davis, John, House Dinsmore Grain Company Mill Doughty Block Dutton-Small House East Vassalboro Grist and Saw Mill Ellis, Dr. J. W., House Elm Hill Farm First Baptist Church Fort Halifax Fort Western Foster Farm Barn Foster-Redington House Fuller-Weston House Gannett, Guy P., House Gardiner Historic District Gardiner Railroad Station Governor's House Grant, Peter, House Grant, William F., House Hallowell Historic District (Additional Documentation) Hartford Fire Station Heald House Hill, Gov. John F., Mansion Hodgkins, Ella R., Intermediate School Hussey-Littlefield Farm Jones, Abel, House Jones, Eli and Sybil, House Journal Building Kennebec Arsenal Kennebec County Courthouse Kent Burying Ground Kent's Hill School Historic District Kresge Building Leach, Philip, House Lee, Jesse, Church Libby-Hill Block Lithgow Library Lockwood Mill Historic District Lombard, Alvin O., House Maine Industrial School for Girls Historic District Maine Insane Hospital Maine Insane Hospital (Boundary Increase) Maine State House Masonic Hall Memorial Hall Mill Agent's House Moody Mansion Morrill, Lot, House Mt. Merici Historic District Noble Block North Monmouth Library Oakland Public Library Oaklands Old Post Office Pendle Hill Pittston Congregational Church Pond Meeting House Powder House Lot Powers House Pressey House Professional Building Quimby, Dr. Samuel, House Readfield Union Meeting House Redington House Richards, Laura, House River Meetinghouse Riverview House Robinson, Edward Arlington, House Row House Seton, Elizabeth Ann, Hospital Shurtleff, Jonas R., House South China Meeting House South Parish Congregational Church and Parish House Spruce Point Camps St. Mark's Episcopal Church St. Mary's Church Starling Grange #156 (former) Stone, Capt. Nataniel, House Sturgis and Haskell Building Tappan-Viles House The Birches Tiffany Chapel Togus VA Medical Center and National Cemetery Two Cent Bridge Underwood, Joseph H., House Universalist-Unitarian Church Vassalboro Mill Vaughan Homestead Vickery Building Vienna Town House Water Street Waterville High School Waterville Main Street Historic District Waterville Main Street Historic District Waterville Opera House and City Hall Waterville Post Office Wayne Town House Whitehouse Block Williams Block Williams, John, House Wing Family Cemetery Winthrop Mills Company Winthrop Street Historic District Winthrop Street Historic District (Boundary Increase)
Maine was the first state to adopt Prohibition: Maine was the first state to adopt Prohibition in 1851, almost 70 years before the rest of the country followed suit. However, it was also one of the first states to repeal Prohibition, doing so in 1934.
Kennebec County, situated in the state of Maine, has a rich and varied history dating back thousands of years. Before European settlement, the region was inhabited by the indigenous peoples, including the Abenaki tribe. They relied on hunting, fishing, and agriculture and left behind the remnants of their villages and burial grounds.

In the 17th century, English settlers arrived in the area and began establishing colonies. The Kennebec Company, a group of Plymouth Colony investors, established Fort St. George in 1607 as a trading post and a center for the fur trade. However, conflicts with the local tribes, as well as harsh living conditions, led to the abandonment of the fort just a few years later.

During the American Revolution, Kennebec County played a significant role in the fight for independence. The town of Hallowell was a crucial manufacturing center, producing items such as cannons and ships for the Continental Army. Augusta, which became the county seat in 1799, was strategically located along the Kennebec River and served as a transportation hub during the war.

In the 19th century, Kennebec County experienced significant industrial growth. The construction of the Kennebec and Portland Railroad in 1849 provided a means for transporting goods, leading to the development of textile mills, paper mills, and other industries. These industries brought jobs and prosperity to the region, and the population of the county continued to grow.

Today, Kennebec County remains an important county in Maine. It is home to Augusta, the state capital, and offers a combination of historical attractions, natural beauty, and thriving communities. The county's rich history is celebrated through various museums, historic sites, and events, providing visitors and residents alike with a glimpse into its past.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Kennebec County, Maine.

  • 1674 - Kennebec County was originally part of Plymouth Colony.
  • 1692 - The area became part of Massachusetts Bay Colony.
  • 1799 - Kennebec County was established as a county in the state of Massachusetts.
  • 1820 - Maine became a separate state from Massachusetts, and Kennebec County became part of Maine.
  • 1832 - The state capital of Maine was moved from Portland to Augusta, located in Kennebec County.
  • 1870 - The Maine State House, the seat of government for the state, was completed in Augusta.
  • 1911 - Construction of the Augusta State Hospital, later known as the Augusta Mental Health Institute, began.
  • 1958 - The Maine Turnpike, connecting the cities of Portland and Augusta, was completed.
  • 1980 - Construction of the Augusta Civic Center, a large convention and exhibition center, was completed.