Historical Markers in
Wicomico County, Maryland

A Drop to Drink A Show of Wealth A Water Connection American Alligator American Bison An Apple a Day Asbury United Methodist Church Barren Creek Heritage Museum Barren Creek Spring House Barren Creek Springs Church BC&A Railroad Freight Depot Beach and Birds Beaver Brattan-Taylor-Calloway Store Brattan-Taylor-Truitt Home Cannery Warehouse Charles H. Chipman Cultural Center Chesapeake Bay Restoration in Progress Dry Thickets F. Leonard Wailes Law Office Friendship United Methodist Church and Allen African American School Fruited Trees and Vines Fruitland Graham-Whitelock Home Gravenor-English School Green Hill Town and Port Harriet Tubman Here We Mark the Price of Freedom Historic Byrd Tavern Holloway Hall James Bacon Home Johnson School-House Game Refuge Livery Stable Lodge Hall Lynching in America / Lynching in Wicomico County Mason-Dixon Stone Memorial Building Methodist Church Native Americans Nature's Pasture Newtown Historic District Newtown Historic District Non Native Plants Old Green Hill Church Open Pond Parsons Cemetery Pemberton Hall Pemberton Hall Plantation Barnyard Poplar Hill Mansion Roaring Point Park Roaring Point Park Rockawalkin School Samuel Chase San Domingo School San Domingo School Community & Cultural Center Sharptown War Memorial Site of Barren Creek Springs Hotel St. Peter's Church The 1955 Wicomico County War Memorial The Doctor's Office The Evolution of the "Best Little Zoo in North America" The Four Immortal Chaplains The General Humphreys Cannon The Great Salisbury Fire The Original Residents The Road to Salisbury Town The Springs at Barren Creek… The "Peculiar Institution" at Pemberton Plantation Trans-Peninsular Line Midpoint Marker Transpeninsular Line Between Maryland and Three Lower Counties of Pennsylvania (Now Delaware) Veterans Memorial Veterans Memorial Veterans Memorial Veterans Memorial Waterside Welcome Welcome to Pemberton Historical Park West Salisbury Little League 2007 Mid-Atlantic Champions Wetland Marsh Whitehaven Wicomico County War Memorial Wicomico Presbyterian Church Wicomico Treasures Wicomico Wetlands Wildfowl Blind Wooded Wetland World War II Memorial - Salisbury College Wye Oak Seedling You Are Not Forgotten Young's Purchase Farmhouse Young's Purchase Home "Old Spring Hill"
Maryland was once the site of a major Civil Rights protest: In 1963, civil rights activists organized the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, which drew more than 250,000 people to the National Mall in Washington D.C. Many of the participants in the march were from Maryland, and the state played a crucial role in the civil rights movement.
Wicomico County, located on the eastern shore of Maryland, has a rich history that dates back thousands of years. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Nanticoke tribe, who relied on the Wicomico River for hunting, fishing, and transportation. European settlers arrived in the 17th century, bringing with them a new way of life.

In the early 18th century, Wicomico County was part of Somerset County. However, as the population grew and the need for local government increased, Wicomico County was established in 1867, named after the local river. The county seat was established in Salisbury, a thriving city that became the hub of commerce and industry in the region.

During the late 19th century, Wicomico County experienced significant growth and development. The expansion of the railroad network allowed for easier transportation of goods, leading to the establishment of canneries and mills, which became major industries in the area. Agriculture also played a vital role, with farmers cultivating crops such as corn, wheat, and tomatoes.

In the 20th century, Wicomico County saw further economic growth and diversification. The establishment of Salisbury University in 1925 brought higher education opportunities to the region, while the construction of Salisbury-Ocean City Wicomico Regional Airport in 1943 enhanced transportation and tourism. Today, Wicomico County continues to thrive as a vibrant and growing community, offering a mix of historical charm and modern amenities to its residents and visitors alike.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Wicomico County, Maryland.

  • 1608: John Smith explores the area and records its Native American inhabitants
  • 1638: The first English settlers arrive in the area
  • 1665: The English crown grants a charter for the establishment of a county named Wicomico
  • 1774: The county court is established
  • 1795: A temporary county courthouse is built
  • 1819: The county seat is established in Salisbury
  • 1867: The first railroad line reaches Wicomico County
  • 1902: The Wicomico County Courthouse is rebuilt after a fire
  • 1941: The Salisbury-Ocean City Wicomico Regional Airport is established
  • 1967: The first Wicomico County Fair is held
  • 1987: The Wicomico River is designated as a Maryland Scenic River
  • 2003: The Henry S. Parker Athletic Complex opens in Salisbury
  • 2018: The Wicomico County Youth & Civic Center undergoes major renovations