Historical Markers in
Garrett County, Maryland

1776 • 1976 1884 Oakland Train Station 1920 Baldwin Steam Locomotive 1938 McCormick-Deering Farmall F14 & 1942 John Deere 1955 B&O Railroad Caboose A Bit of History - The Fireside A Tribute to Garrett County's Civil War Soldiers Altamont B&O Mile Marker Bear Camp Bear Creek Lumber and Meat Market Bear Creek Trout Hatchery and Rearing Station Bear Hill School Campsite Casselman Hotel Casselman River Bridge Casselman River Bridge State Park Casselman River Bridge State Park Castleman’s River Bridge/The Little Crossings Charles Friend’s Home Civilian Conservation Corps Cleveland Cottage Cleveland Cottage and Site of Deer Park Hotel Cobbler Shop Col. James McHenry of Baltimore Compton School Crash of a United States B-52 Bomber Deep Creek Lake Deep Creek Lake Discovery Center Deer Park Hotel Deer Park Hotel Station Drane House Early Inns Fighting Forest Fires Fighting Forest Fires Is a Hard Job First National Bank, Leslie Friend Store & Military Honors Forestry Beginning Fort Alice Friendsville Baseball Fever, Cider Mill, Shanty Town Friendsville Commerce, Custer's and Ryland's Stores Friendsville Honor Roll Friendsville School 1891-1924 Friend’s Graveyard Garrett County Civil War Veterans Garrett County Courthouse Garrett County Pilgrimage Garrett County's Honored War Dead Garrett Memorial Church Gas House General Braddock’s 5th Camp Gettysburg Campaign Gettysburg Campaign Gettysburg Campaign Glotfelty House Highest Point on the Maryland State Roads System History of Deep Creek Lake Hoye - Crest In Memoriam In Memory of All Who Fought For Our Country In Memory of Rev. John A. Grant J.W. McCullough, Lumbering and Mining Titan James Cardinal Gibbons Keyser's Ridge Leo J. Beachy Little Meadows Markley House MaryLandscapes Morris Avenue and Maple Street Mountain Maryland Gateway to the West Mountain Maryland Gateway to the West Native American Visitors and Inhabitants Negro Mountain New Germany Lake Oakland Oakland Veterans Park Oakland, the B&O, and the Jones/Imboden Raid Old Glory Our Benefactors Railroad Street Rasche Blacksmith Shop Riverside Hotel & Knights of Pythias Robert Lee Payne Savage River Camp Schrock Cabin Site of Civil War Fort Pendleton Site of Oakland Hotel Site of the National Pike Blacksmith Shop Stanton’s Mill Swauger Mill Thayer Game Refuge The Commercial Hotel and the William James Hotel The First Garrett County Courthouse The Fuller-Baker House The Glades Hotel The Grave of Meshack Browning The Kildow Mill The Legend of Johnny Friend The Loar Mansion The Long Stretch The Lost Settlement of Kendall The Miller House The National Pike The National Road The National Road The National Road The Oakland Hotel The Opera House The Original Tombstone of Solomon Glotfelty The Railroad Era and Hotels The Unique Milling Company The Youghiogheny River To the Men and Women of Garrett County who fought honorably in Southeast Asia Tradition of Washington Spring Traveling the National Road Veterans Memorial Vietnam Memorial Walnut Street and First Avenue – F.G. Fox & Sons Water Street North, Captain Elijah Monroe Friend Welcome to Dailey’s Park Winterburg House Yoder House You Were Gone Before We Knew It Yough Motors, Confectionary and Bandstand Youghiogheny Grove "McCulloch’s Path" "The Little Crossings"
The University of Maryland was founded in 1856: The University of Maryland, College Park, was founded in 1856 as the Maryland Agricultural College. Today, it is the flagship campus of the University System of Maryland and is one of the largest universities in the state.
Garrett County, located in the westernmost part of Maryland, has a rich and diverse history dating back thousands of years. The earliest inhabitants of the region were the Native American tribes, particularly the Susquehannock and Shawnee tribes, who relied on the area's abundant natural resources for their livelihood.

European settlement began in the late 1700s, with German and Scottish-Irish immigrants establishing small farming communities. However, it was the discovery of vast natural resources that truly shaped Garrett County's development. In the early 1800s, the region became known for its timber, which fueled the growth of logging and sawmill industries. Soon after, coal was discovered, leading to the establishment of several coal mining towns in the area.

The completion of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in the 1850s further spurred economic growth in Garrett County, as it provided a means of transporting timber, coal, and other goods to markets in Baltimore and beyond. The county's economy continued to thrive throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, fueled by the extraction of natural resources and the emergence of tourism, thanks to its picturesque landscapes and outdoor recreational opportunities.

In recent decades, Garrett County has undergone significant changes. The decline of the coal industry and a shift towards a more service-based economy have impacted the area. However, the county's natural beauty remains a prominent asset, attracting tourists and outdoor enthusiasts who partake in activities like fishing, hiking, skiing, and boating. Garrett County also values its agricultural heritage, with many farmers working to preserve traditional methods and promote locally produced goods.

Overall, Garrett County's history is characterized by the interplay between its natural resources, the development of industries, and its enduring appeal as a destination for those seeking the tranquility of its scenic landscapes.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Garrett County, Maryland.

  • 1765 - Garrett County was established as a part of Allegany County.
  • 1789 - The recorded establishment of an early settlement in the area.
  • 1837 - The area was officially recognized as Allegheny County.
  • 1872 - The county was established and named after John Work Garrett, then president of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
  • 1876 - The construction of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was completed in the county.
  • 1900s - The county experienced growth and development in timber, coal, and tourism industries.
  • 1925 - Deep Creek Lake was created with the completion of a hydroelectric project.
  • 1938 - The state park system acquired land in the county for the development of Deep Creek Lake State Park.
  • 1950s - Ski resorts started to develop in the county.
  • 1978 - Savage River State Forest, the largest forest in Maryland, was established in Garrett County.