Hurricane Katrina, which struck Louisiana in 2005, was one of the deadliest and costliest hurricanes in U.S. history. The storm caused widespread destruction in New Orleans and other parts of the state, and its aftermath highlighted issues of poverty, race, and government response in the United States.
St. Charles Parish, Louisiana has a rich history that stretches back centuries. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Houma and Choctaw peoples, who relied on the region's natural resources for their sustenance. The first European explorers, namely the Spanish, arrived in the early 18th century, establishing a small presence in the region.

In 1721, St. Charles Parish was officially established as one of the original 19 parishes of Louisiana. The parish was named after the patron saint of Charles III of Spain. Throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, the area witnessed a significant growth of plantation agriculture, with sugar cane becoming the primary cash crop. This expansion was fueled by the arrival of African slaves, who were brought in to work on the plantations.

St. Charles Parish played a significant role in the American Civil War. The parish saw its fair share of military activity, as it was strategically located along the Mississippi River. Confederate forces attempted to defend the river from Union advances, but ultimately, the Union Army gained control of the region, hindering the parish's agricultural production.

In the 20th century, St. Charles Parish underwent significant changes with the rise of the oil and gas industry. The discovery of oil and natural gas deposits in the region brought about economic growth and diversification. Today, the parish is known for its industrial activities, including refineries and chemical plants, while also focusing on preserving its historical and cultural heritage.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of St. Charles Parish, Louisiana.

  • 1720: St. Charles Parish is established, originally a part of the French province of Louisiana.
  • 1807: The first courthouse is built in St. Charles Parish.
  • 1812: St. Charles Parish becomes a part of the state of Louisiana when it is admitted to the United States.
  • 1830: The first major sugar cane plantation is established in the parish.
  • 1861: The Civil War begins, impacting St. Charles Parish as Louisiana secedes from the Union.
  • 1865: The Civil War ends, and Reconstruction begins in St. Charles Parish.
  • 1874: The courthouse in St. Charles Parish is destroyed by fire.
  • 1889: A new courthouse is built in Hahnville, the current parish seat of St. Charles Parish.
  • 1923: The town of Ama is incorporated in St. Charles Parish.
  • 2005: St. Charles Parish is severely impacted by Hurricane Katrina, causing massive flooding and damage.
  • 2010: The population of St. Charles Parish reaches its peak at over 52,000 residents.