Historical Markers in
Iberia Parish, Louisiana

A Walk of Faith Avery Island Salt Dome Bamboo Bayou Petite Anse Bayou Teche Bayside Plantation Bazus Building Beau Pre-Circa 1828 Becoming New Iberia Belmont Plantation Bird City Boat House Booker T. Washington's Historic Visit to Howe Institute / Howe Institute Buddah Church Alley Church Alley Dedicated to the Memory of Joseph Jackson Eddie L. Dorsey, MD; Ima Pierson, DDS; Howard C. Scoggins, MD; Luins Williams, MD Evangeline Theater Factory Félicité First Rock Salt Mine Frédéric Henri Duperier Frederick Larned Gates Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes Harry B. Hewes House Howe Institute Iberia Courthouse Building James Lee Burke Jefferson Island Kathleen Babineaux Blanco Lake Peigneur Lieutenant Colonel Francisco Bouligny Louisiana's First Black Female Physician Dr. Emma Wakefield~Paillet McIlhenny Mt. Carmel Academy New Iberia New Iberia Shipwreck Nicholas Provôt Olivier Plantation Provost's Café and Bar/Clementine Fine Dining and Spirits Saint Peter's College Segura - Labourgeois Building Shadows-On-The Teche Site of Camp Pratt Southern Live Oaks Spanish Lake St. John The Evangelist Church Parish St. Peter's Cemetery Sugar Cane Festival and Fair Building Sunken Gardens The Cleveland Oak The Davis Building The Dreyfus Building The Episcopal Church Of The Epiphany The Erath Building The Gouguenheim Building The Great Fire The Murray Building The Original New Iberia Fire Bell The Steamboat Era The United States Post Office - Circa 1903 The Weeks' Grove This Buddah Veterans Memorial Building William G. "Bunk" Johnson Wormser's Department Store
Louisiana was originally a French colony, named after King Louis XIV of France. The area was first explored by the French explorer Rene-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, in 1682.
Iberia Parish, located in the southern part of Louisiana, has a rich history that dates back to the 18th century. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Chitimacha tribe, who lived along the banks of the Bayou Teche. The French were the first Europeans to settle in the area, establishing a trading post in what is now New Iberia.

In 1779, during the American Revolutionary War, Spanish forces took control of Louisiana, including Iberia Parish. Under Spanish rule, the area saw an increase in population and agricultural development. Sugar cane became the primary crop, leading to the establishment of sugar plantations. The Spanish influence can still be seen today in the architecture and culture of the region.

In 1803, Louisiana was acquired by the United States in the Louisiana Purchase. The new American government brought changes to Iberia Parish, including the introduction of English as the primary language and the influx of American settlers. The 19th century saw economic growth in the parish, with the expansion of the sugar industry and the completion of the railroad, which connected Iberia Parish to New Orleans and facilitated trade.

Throughout the 20th century, Iberia Parish continued to grow and diversify its economy. The discovery of oil and natural gas reserves in the 1930s brought an economic boom, leading to the establishment of petroleum and manufacturing industries. The parish also became known for its seafood production, particularly shrimp and crab. Today, the economy of Iberia Parish is diverse, encompassing industries such as oil and gas, agriculture, tourism, and seafood production. The rich cultural heritage of the area is celebrated through festivals, museums, and historic sites, attracting visitors from all over the world.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Iberia Parish, Louisiana.

  • 1765 - Spanish authorities establish a settlement known as "Nueva Iberia" in the area now known as Iberia Parish.
  • 1803 - Louisiana Purchase: Spain cedes the territory, including Iberia Parish, to the United States.
  • 1824 - Iberia Parish is officially established as a parish in the state of Louisiana.
  • 1839 - Construction of the first courthouse in New Iberia is completed.
  • 1862 - During the American Civil War, New Iberia is occupied by Union forces.
  • 1893 - The Great Fire of New Iberia destroys a significant portion of the city.
  • 1930s - Discovery of the Weeks Island salt dome leads to the development of the oil and gas industry in Iberia Parish.
  • 1941 - Naval Air Station New Iberia is established as a training facility during World War II.
  • 1970s - The shrimp industry becomes a prominent economic sector in Iberia Parish.
  • 1987 - Tabasco Sauce Museum opens in Avery Island, attracting visitors from around the world.