Historical Markers in
Cameron Parish, Louisiana

The Louisiana Purchase Exposition, also known as the St. Louis World's Fair, was held in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1904. The fair featured exhibits from around the world and introduced several new inventions and products to the public, including the ice cream cone and Dr Pepper soft drink.
Cameron Parish is located in southwest Louisiana and has a rich history that dates back thousands of years. Before European arrival, the area was inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Atakapa and Chitimacha peoples. These tribes relied on the rich natural resources of the region, such as fishing in the Gulf of Mexico and hunting in the marshlands.

The region's history changed dramatically with the arrival of European settlers in the 18th century. The French were the first to establish a presence in the area, followed by the Spanish. In the early 19th century, American settlers began to arrive, and the region became known for its agricultural industry, particularly cotton and sugarcane plantations.

Cameron Parish suffered significant damage from hurricanes throughout its history. In 1886, the town of Sabine Pass was destroyed by a powerful hurricane, leading to the decline of the city and a shift in population to nearby towns. The region would face further devastation in the 20th century, particularly with the Great Hurricane of 1915 and Hurricane Audrey in 1957, which was one of the deadliest storms in the history of the United States.

Despite these challenges, Cameron Parish remains a resilient community that continues to rebuild and thrive. The region is known for its natural beauty and abundance of wildlife, making it popular for outdoor enthusiasts and tourists. The parish is also home to the Cameron LNG terminal, one of the largest liquefied natural gas terminals in the United States, contributing to its economic growth.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Cameron Parish, Louisiana.

  • 1838 - Cameron Parish is established.
  • 1852 - The parish is named after Simon Cameron, the U.S. Secretary of War.
  • 1886 - A hurricane destroys many structures and leads to the decline of the parish's population.
  • 1897 - The Cameron Jetty is constructed to improve shipping access to the area.
  • 1900 - Another major hurricane hits, resulting in further devastation.
  • 1941 - An oil and gas discovery in the parish leads to increased economic activity.
  • 1957 - The Cameron Ferry service is established to provide transportation across the Calcasieu Ship Channel.
  • 2005 - Hurricane Rita devastates the parish, causing widespread damage.
  • 2018 - The Cheniere Energy LNG plant becomes operational, bringing new jobs and economic growth to the area.