National Register Listings in
Lake County, Illinois

Adams, Mary W., House Adler, David, Estate Adler, Mrs. Isaac D., House Armour, J. Ogden, House Armour, Lester, House Armour, Philip D., III, House Beatty, Ross J., House Beatty, Ross, House Becker, A. G., Property Bennett, Edward H., House and Studio Blair, William McCormick, Estate Bowen, Joseph T., Country Club Braeside School Camp Logan National Guard Rifle Range Historic District Campbell, Albert, House Catlow Theatre Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway Passenger Depot Church of the St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Monastery Churchill, Richard, House Cook Memorial Library Deerpath Hill Estates Historic District Deerpath Inn Dewey House Dubin, Henry, House Ely, Mrs. C. Morse, House Evert House Fagen, Mildred and Abel, House Florsheim, Harold, House Fort Sheridan Historic District Fredrick, Louis, House Geyso, Mrs. Frank, Houses Granville-Mott House Great Lakes Naval Training Station Green Bay Road Historic District Griffith, John, Store Building Grigsby Estate Hall, David, House Hazel Avenue Prospect Avenue Historic District Hibbard, Frank, Estate House-Deerpath Hill Estates Highland Park Water Tower Holmes, Samuel, House Holy Family Church Hotel Waukegan House at 380 Chiltern Drive-Deerpath Hill Estates House at 965 Castlegate Court-Deerpath Hill Estates Humer Building James, Jean Butz, Museum of the Highland Park Historical Society Jensen, Jens, Summer House and Studio Judah, Noble, Estate Karcher Hotel Lake Bluff Uptown Commercial Historic District Lake Forest Cemetery Lake Forest Historic District Lamont, Robert P., House Lanzl, Haerman, House Leonard, Clifford Milton, Farm Lewis, Lloyd, House Libertyville High School Brainerd Building Lichtstern House Linden Park Place-Belle Avenue Historic District Linn, Howard and Lucy, House Loeb, Ernest, House Mandel, Mr. Fred L., Jr., House Maple Avenue Maple Lane Historic District Millard, George Madison, House Millard, Sylvester, House Millburn Historic District Mineola Hotel Morse, Robert Hosmer, House Near North Historic District North Shore Sanitary District Tower Paddock, Henry I., House Pick, George, House Proctor Building Public Service Building Ragdale Ravinia Park Historic District Reed, Mrs. Kersey Coates, House Rosewood Park Ryerson, Edward L., Area Historic District Shiloh House Snite, John Taylor, House Soule, C. S., House Stevenson, Adlai E., II, Farm Swift, Louis F., House Van Hagen, George E., House Vine-Oakwood-Green Bay Road Historic District Water Tower, Building 49 Waukegan Building Waukegan Public Library West Park Neighborhood Historic District Westover Road Non-Commissioned Officers' Housing Historic District Willits, Ward Winfield, House Zion Chapter House
Available on Amazon
The first McDonald's restaurant was opened in Des Plaines, Illinois in 1955. The restaurant was designed to be a drive-in, but it quickly became popular with families and eventually evolved into the fast-food chain we know today.
Lake County, Illinois is located in the northeastern part of the state, approximately 40 miles north of downtown Chicago. Known for its natural beauty and numerous lakes, the county has a rich history dating back thousands of years to the Native American tribes that first inhabited the area.

The earliest recorded history of Lake County begins with the Potawatomi and Miami tribes, who used the land for hunting and gathering. European settlers arrived in the late 17th century, primarily traders and missionaries seeking to establish relationships with the Native Americans. The region remained sparsely populated until the 1830s when the U.S. government opened it up for settlement.

In 1836, Lake County was officially established, named for the numerous lakes that dot its landscape. The county's growth was slow at first, but the arrival of the railroad in the 1850s sparked urban development and brought an influx of new residents. Industries such as agriculture, manufacturing, and transportation flourished, and the county became an important hub for trade and commerce.

Lake County experienced significant growth and expansion throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The establishment of the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in the 1920s brought economic stability and employment opportunities to the area. Additionally, the construction of highways and the growth of suburbanization led to a population boom in the post-World War II era.

Today, Lake County is a thriving suburban region with a diverse population and a strong economy. It is known for its high quality of life, excellent schools, and recreational opportunities offered by its beautiful lakes and parks. With its rich history and ongoing growth, Lake County continues to be a desirable place to live, work, and visit.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Lake County, Illinois.

  • 1837 - Lake County is created in the state of Illinois.
  • 1839 - The first permanent settlement is established in the Village of Little Fort, later known as Waukegan.
  • 1859 - The Illinois State Legislature designates Waukegan as the County Seat.
  • 1874 - Lake Villa Township is established.
  • 1893 - The Great Chicago Fire leads to an influx of people and economic growth in Lake County.
  • 1909 - Naval Station Great Lakes is established in North Chicago.
  • 1934 - The Lake County Forest Preserve District is created to protect and preserve open spaces.
  • 1958 - The National Safety Council relocates its headquarters to Lake Forest.
  • 1975 - Six Flags Great America amusement park opens in Gurnee.
  • 1994 - The Lake County Discovery Museum opens in Wauconda.