National Register Listings in
Kane County, Illinois

Arcada Theater Building Aurora College Complex Aurora Elks Lodge No. 705 Batavia Institute Beith, William, House Campana Factory Campana Factory (Boundary Decrease) Camptown Town Hall Central Geneva Historic District Central Geneva Historic District (Boundary Increase) Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy Roundhouse and Locomotive Shop Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad Depot City Building Copley Hospital Copley, Col. Ira C., Mansion Country Tea Room Dundee Township Historic District Durant House Dutch Mill Elgin Academy Elgin Downtown Commercial District Elgin Historic District Elgin National Watch Company Observatory Elgin Tower Building Elizabeth Place Fabyan Villa Fire Barn 5 First Methodist Church of Batavia First Universalist Church Ford, Sam and Ruth Van Sickle, House Fox River House GAR Memorial Building Garfield Farm and Garfield Tavern (Boundary Increase) Garfield Farm and Tavern Geneva Country Day School Gifford-Davidson House Graham Building Gray-Watkins Mill Gridley, Mrs., A. W., House Healy Chapel Holy Cross Church Hotel Arthur Hotel Aurora Hotel Baker Hulburd, Joel H., House Hunt House Keystone Building Larkin Home for Children LaSalle Street Auto Row Historic District Library Hall Masonic Temple Memorial Washington Reformed Presbyterian Church Middle Avenue Historic District Muirhead, Robert and Elizabeth, House North Geneva Historic District North Geneva Historic District (Boundary Decrease and Additional Documentation) Oaklawn Farm Old Second National Bank Paramount Theatre Pelton, Ora, House Potter and Barker Grain Elevator Pure Oil Station Riverbank Laboratories Smith, Ephraim, House Spring-Douglas Historic District St. Charles Hospital St. Charles Municipal Building St. Mary's Church of Gilberts Stearns-Wadsworth House Stolp Island Historic District Stolp Woolen Mill Store Tanner, William A., House United Methodist Church of Batavia Weisel, Andrew, House West Side Historic District White, Louise, School Wilson, Judge Isaac, House Wing Park Golf Course
Available on Amazon
The Chicago Cubs baseball team has the longest championship drought in North American professional sports history. The Cubs won their last World Series in 1908, and they famously ended their 108-year championship drought by winning the World Series in 2016.
Kane County, Illinois has a rich and varied history that dates back thousands of years. The region was inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Potawatomi and Fox nations, prior to European settlement. European explorers first came to the area in the 17th century, with French traders establishing relations with the native tribes.

In the early 19th century, European settlers began to arrive in Kane County, seeking new opportunities and fertile land. The first permanent settlement was established in 1834 by Joseph McCarthy, who built a log cabin in present-day St. Charles. Over the next few decades, more settlers arrived and the population grew steadily.

Kane County officially became a county in 1836, carved out of neighboring LaSalle County. It was named after Elias Kane, a United States Senator from Illinois. The county experienced rapid growth in the mid-19th century, thanks to its proximity to Chicago and the development of transportation infrastructure, such as railroads and canals.

The 20th century brought further expansion and industrialization to Kane County. Agriculture remained important to the economy, with corn and soybeans as major crops. The county also became a hub for manufacturing, particularly in the cities of Aurora and Elgin. Today, Kane County is a diverse and vibrant community, known for its beautiful natural landscapes, historic downtown areas, and strong sense of community.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Kane County, Illinois.

  • 1836 - Kane County is officially established on January 16.
  • 1837 - The first settlement in Kane County is established in Geneva.
  • 1838 - The first courthouse is built in St. Charles.
  • 1839 - The first newspaper, the Aurora Beacon, is published in Aurora.
  • 1841 - The first railroad reaches Kane County, connecting Chicago and Elgin.
  • 1844 - The town of Elgin is officially incorporated.
  • 1850 - The county population reaches over 16,000.
  • 1851 - The first public high school in Illinois is established in Elgin.
  • 1855 - The Elgin Watch Company is founded.
  • 1862 - The American Civil War begins, and many residents of Kane County enlist in the Union Army.
  • 1869 - The Illinois State Mental Hospital (now Elgin Mental Health Center) opens in Elgin.
  • 1872 - The Chicago and North Western Railway connects Elgin to Chicago.
  • 1900 - The county population reaches over 56,000.
  • 1930 - The Great Depression affects the county's economy, causing hardship for many residents.
  • 1943 - The Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) is established near Batavia.
  • 1956 - The Kane County Fair begins its annual tradition in St. Charles.
  • 1970 - The county population exceeds 250,000.
  • 1992 - The Chicago Premium Outlets open in Aurora, boosting the local economy.
  • 2007 - The Kane County Cougars win their first Midwest League Championship.