National Register Listings in
Lewis County, Idaho

The Idaho state flag was designed by a woman named Emma Edwards Green in 1907. The flag features the state seal in the center, surrounded by a yellow band with the words "State of Idaho" on it, and two blue bands on either side.
Lewis County is a rural county located in the state of Idaho, with an interesting history that dates back to the 1800s. The first recorded settlers in the area were Native American tribes, including the Nez Perce. They thrived off the land and utilized the Clearwater and Snake Rivers for transportation and trade.

In the early 19th century, European fur traders arrived, establishing trading posts along the rivers. In 1805, the famous explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark passed through the region on their expedition to the Pacific Ocean. Their journey increased interest in the area and contributed to the eventual influx of settlers.

Lewis County was officially established in 1911, named after Meriwether Lewis. The county had a primarily agricultural economy, with farming and logging being the main industries. Timber was abundant in the area, leading to the establishment of many sawmills and logging camps during the early 20th century.

The county has seen its share of challenges over the years, including economic downturns and the impact of natural disasters. Despite these challenges, Lewis County has remained a close-knit community with a strong sense of pride in its history and natural beauty. Today, the county continues to be known for its abundant outdoor recreational opportunities, including fishing, hunting, and hiking, as well as its picturesque landscapes and rural charm.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Lewis County, Idaho.

  • 1805 - Lewis and Clark Expedition passes through the area
  • Early 1830s - Fur traders and trappers begin to settle in the region
  • 1861 - Idaho County is established, including the territory that would later become Lewis County
  • 1911 - Lewis County is created from parts of Idaho County
  • 1915 - The town of Nezperce is established as the county seat
  • 1935 - The Civilian Conservation Corps arrives in Lewis County and helps develop the forested areas
  • 1967 - The Kamiah Valley becomes part of Lewis County after a boundary change
  • 1975 - The town of Craigmont is incorporated as a city
  • 1992 - The county experiences a wildfire known as the Clearwater Complex Fire