National Register Listings in
Johnson County, Iowa

Ashton, Ned, House Berryhill, Charles, House Bethel AME Church Billingsley-Hills House Boerner-Fry Company/Davis Hotel Borts, Albert J. and Alice E., House Bostick, William, House Bowery Street Grocery Store Brown Street Historic District Brown Street Historic District (Boundary Increase) Buresh Farm Byfield, Dr. Albert Henry, House Cannon, Wilbur D. and Hattie, House Carson, Thomas C., House Cavanaugh-Zetek House Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad Passenger Station Clark House Close House College Block Building College Green Historic District Congregational Church of Iowa City Coralville Public School Coralville Union Ecclesiastical Church Cottage at Rock and Dubuque Streets Czecho Slovakian Association Hall East College Street Historic District Economy Advertising Company Englert Theatre First Johnson County Asylum First Unitarian Church First Welsh Congregational Church Ford, Arthur Hillyer, House Franklin Printing House Gilbert-Linn Street Historic District Harvat, Emma J., and Mary E. Stach House Hawthorne Glove and Novelty Company-Shrader Drug Company Building Henyon-Kasper-Duffy Barn Iowa City Downtown Historic District Iowa Federation Home for Colored Girls Jackson-Swisher House and Carriage House Jefferson Street Historic District Johnson County Courthouse Johnson County Savings Bank Johnson, Sylvanus, House Kirkwood House Letovsky-Rohret House Linsay House Longfellow Historic District McCollister, James, Farmstead Melrose Historic District Miller Round Barn Muscatine Avenue Moffitt Cottage Historic District Nicking House North Presbyterian Church Oakes-Wood House Old Capitol Old Post Office Old Settlers' Association of Johnson County Cabins Oxford Commercial Historic District Park House Hotel Paul-Helen Building Pentacrest Plum Grove Polygonal Barn, Lincoln Township Pratt, A. W., House Ranshaw, Samuel and Emma A., House Rittenmeyer, F. X., House Roberts Octagon Barn Rose Hill Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church Schindhelm-Drews House Secrest Octagon Barn Shimek, Bohumil, House Sigma Pi Fraternity House South Summit Street District St. John's Lutheran Church St. Mary's Church and Rectory St. Mary's Rectory State Quarry, Old Stone Academy Summit Apartment Building Sutliff Bridge Tate Arms Trinity Episcopal Church Union Bakery Union Brewery Vogt House Washington Township Center High School Wehner, Roland and Marilyn, House Wentz, Jacob, House Wetherby, Isaac A., House White, H. A., General Store and House Windrem House Woodlawn Historic District
Available on Amazon
During World War II, Iowa was home to several prisoner of war camps, where German soldiers were held captive. The largest of these camps was located in Algona, Iowa, and housed more than 10,000 prisoners at its peak.
Johnson County, Iowa, has a rich and diverse history. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Meskwaki and the Sac and Fox tribes. The first European settlers arrived in the early 1800s, with the establishment of a fur trading post. In 1838, Iowa City was chosen as the capital of the newly-formed Iowa Territory, spurring further growth and development in the county.

Iowa City became a center of education and culture in the region. In 1855, the University of Iowa was established, marking the beginning of a long-standing tradition of higher education in Johnson County. The university has since become one of the leading academic institutions in the country, attracting students from around the world.

Johnson County also played a significant role in the abolitionist movement and the Underground Railroad. Several prominent abolitionists, such as John Matzen and William R. Smith, were active in the area, helping fugitive slaves escape to freedom. The county's strong moral stance on slavery made it a significant hub for anti-slavery activities during the 19th century.

In the 20th century, Johnson County experienced steady growth and development. The county's population steadily increased, driven in part by the growth of the university and its related industries. Today, Johnson County is known for its vibrant community, cultural offerings, and strong commitment to education and social justice. It continues to be a thriving and diverse county in the state of Iowa.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Johnson County, Iowa.

  • 1838 - Johnson County is established by the Iowa Territorial Legislature.
  • 1840 - Iowa City becomes the county seat.
  • 1855 - The University of Iowa is founded in Iowa City.
  • 1864 - A major flood devastates Iowa City.
  • 1873 - Construction of the Old Capitol building is completed.
  • 1885 - The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad reaches Iowa City.
  • 1901 - Construction of the current Johnson County Courthouse is finished.
  • 1959 - Iowa City's population surpasses 25,000.
  • 1970 - The Iowa City Landmark District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • 2008 - Iowa City is designated as a UNESCO City of Literature.