National Register Listings in
Jackson County, Iowa

Anderson, D. H., Building Anderson, D. H., House Bassnett-Nickerson House Bellevue Herald Building Big Mill Homestead Building at 101 North Riverview Street Building at 126 South Riverview Street Building at 130-132 North Riverview Street Building at 306 South Second Street Butterworth, Nathaniel, House Canton School Central School Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Narrow Gauge Depot-LaMotte Cooper, George, House Cundill Block Decker House Hotel DeFries House, Barn and Carpenter Shop Dominy, John S., House Dyas Hexagonal Barn Dyas, George, House Dyas, William, Barn First National Bank Fritz Chapel Gehlen House and Barn Godard, Milton, House Harris Wagon and Carriage Shop Hotel Hurst Hotel Hurst Garage House at 111 E. Maple Street House at 505 Court Street Hurst, A. A., House Hurstville Historic District Insane Asylum at the County Poor Farm IOOF Building Jackson County Courthouse Jackson County Jail Johnson, Mrs. Lydia, House Kegler Gonner Store and Post Office Kucheman Building Lake, John, House Lock and Dam No. 12 Historic District Lubben, Henry, House, Smokehouse and Springhouse Lyon Block Maquoketa Caves State Park Historic District Maquoketa Company-Clinton Machine Company Administration Building Maquoketa Free Public Library Martin, Dr. G. S., House Merrero Building Mill Rock School Mitchell-Maskrey Mill New Era Building Niemann, Theodore, House and Spring House Organ, Alexander, House Paradise Farm Perham House Polygonal Barn, Van Buren Township Potter's, E. G., Jasper Flour Mill Robb House and Spring House Roling, Henry, House Sanborn, C. M., Building Savanna-Sabula Bridge Sieben, Mrs. Margaret, House Slye, Thomas, House Spring Side Squiers, J. E., House St. Lawrence Catholic Church St. Patrick's Church-Garryowen Swigert, W. B., House Taubman, Henry, House Upper Paradise Village of St. Donatus Historic District West Pleasant Street Historic District Williams, Seneca, Mill Wilson, Anson, House Wood, Jeremiah, House
Iowa was part of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, but it wasn't until 1833 that the first permanent settlement was established in what is now the city of Burlington.
Jackson County, Iowa is a richly historical area situated in the eastern part of the state. The county's history can be traced back to the early 19th century, when European settlers arrived in the area. The first settlement established in present-day Jackson County was Bellevue, in 1833. Soon after, more settlers began to arrive, attracted by the fertile land and opportunities for farming.

The county was officially established on December 21, 1837 and named after President Andrew Jackson. In the early years, Jackson County experienced rapid growth as more families settled in the area. Towns and communities such as Maquoketa, Sabula, and Andrew were formed, each with its own unique history and character.

Throughout the 19th century, Jackson County played a significant role in the development of Iowa. The county was crossed by several major transportation routes, including the Mississippi River and the Chicago and North Western Railway. As a result, the region became an important hub for commerce and trade, with industries such as logging, mining, and agriculture flourishing.

In the 20th century, Jackson County continued to evolve, adapting to changing times and economic shifts. The Great Depression and World War II had a significant impact on the county, but it managed to rebound and thrive in the post-war era. Today, Jackson County attracts visitors with its beautiful natural landscapes, historic sites, and recreational opportunities, while also preserving and celebrating its rich heritage.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Jackson County, Iowa.

  • 1837 - Jackson County is established on December 21.
  • 1838 - First settler, Samuel F. Lockwood, arrives in the county.
  • 1841 - County seat is established in Andrew, Iowa.
  • 1851 - Maquoketa becomes the new county seat on April 8.
  • 1861 to 1865 - Jackson County residents serve in the American Civil War.
  • 1870 - Railroad service reaches Maquoketa.
  • 1875 - Bellevue State Park is established.
  • 1902 - Ohnward Bancshares, Inc., is founded in Cascade, Iowa.
  • 1929 - Hurstville Lime Kilns and Caves are dedicated as a scenic state park on September 2.
  • 1959 - Maquoketa Caves State Park is dedicated on September 5.
  • 2012 - A wind farm is established in Jackson County.