Historical Markers in
Whitfield County, Georgia

African-American Soldiers in Combat Ascent to Dug Gap Atlanta Campaign Babb's Settlement Baggage Carts Battle of Dug Gap Battle of Dug Gap Battle of Mill Creek Gap Battle of Resaca Battle of Resaca Battles of Tilton Campaign for Atlanta: Johnston's Review Carpet Technology Clisby Austin House Confederate Cemetery Confederate Defense of Mill Creek Gap Cotton Gin Crow Valley Crow Valley Dalton Confederate Cemetery Dalton Confederate Memorial Dr. Anderson’s House Dr. Lacewell’s Office Dug Gap Dug Gap Fort Hill Geary's Division to Dug Gap General Cleburne’s Proposal to Arm Slaves George Disney's Grave George Whitefield Hamilton House Hamilton House Harris' Gap Historic Red Clay Johnny Marcus Memorial Loop Joseph Standing Monument Military Operations in Crow Valley Mill Creek Gap Mill Creek Gap Milltown Education North Line Dalton’s Defenses Old Federal Road Our Textile Legacy Prater's Mill Prater’s Mill Prater’s Mill and The Civil War Prater’s Mill Store R.R. Wood Station Rocky Face Ridge Phase Schofield's 23d Corps in Crow Valley Site: Ault's Mill Stevenson's Line Stevenson's Line The Battle of Mill Creek Gap The Blunt House The Chase, and a Battle The Dixie Highway Becomes Dixie Highway The Excavation The Flooded Gap The Huff House The McCarty Neighborhood The McCarty Subdivision The Mechanization of the Bedspread Industry Tristram Dalton Tunnel Hill Tunnel Hill Tunnel Hill W&A Railroad Depot Twentieth Corps in Dogwood Valley Water Turbine Welcome to Dalton! Western & Atlantic Railroad Tunnel Western and Atlantic Railroad Depot What are Sherman Neckties? "Callaway Place" - 1814.
Available on Amazon
Georgia was named in honor of King George II of England, who granted a charter for the colony in 1732.
Whitfield County, located in northwestern Georgia, has a rich history dating back thousands of years. Before European settlement, the area was home to Native American tribes, including the Creek and Cherokee nations. The region became part of the Cherokee Nation's territory under the Treaty of Hopewell in 1785, but further agreements in the early 1800s led to the forced removal of the Cherokee people on the infamous Trail of Tears.

European settlers began arriving in the area in the early 1800s, bringing with them agriculture and industry. In 1847, the county was officially established and named after George Whitefield, a prominent Methodist preacher. The economy was primarily agricultural, with cotton being the main cash crop. The reliance on slave labor during this time had a significant impact on the county's development.

During the American Civil War, Whitfield County, like many other parts of Georgia, played a crucial role. The region served as a transportation hub due to its rail connections, making it strategically important. Numerous battles and skirmishes took place in and around the county, as both Union and Confederate forces sought control of the area and its resources.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Whitfield County experienced significant industrial growth. The discovery of marble and limestone in the area led to the establishment of quarries, which fueled the development of the local economy. The construction of several textile mills also brought jobs and economic prosperity to the county. Today, Whitfield County continues to thrive and is known for its diverse economy, including industries such as flooring manufacturing, agriculture, and tourism.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Whitfield County, Georgia.

  • 1851 - Whitfield County is established on December 30
  • 1852 - The county seat is named Lafayette
  • 1861-1865 - Whitfield County residents participate in the American Civil War
  • 1870s - Railroads are built through the county, stimulating economic growth
  • 1912 - The city of Dalton is incorporated on February 26
  • 1930s - Dalton becomes known as the "Carpet Capital of the World"
  • 1993 - Whitfield County's population exceeds 70,000
  • 2003 - The county celebrates its 150th anniversary