National Register Listings in
Towns County, Georgia

Available on Amazon
Georgia has a strong military history and has been the site of several important military installations, including Fort Benning, which is home to the U.S. Army Infantry School.
Towns County is a small county located in the northeastern part of Georgia. It was established on March 6, 1856 and was named after George Washington Towns, who was the governor of Georgia from 1847 to 1851. The county was originally inhabited by Native American tribes such as the Cherokee, who were forcibly removed from their lands during the infamous Trail of Tears in the late 1830s.

During the early years of its establishment, Towns County primarily relied on agriculture for its economic development. The fertile land allowed for successful farming of crops such as corn, wheat, and cotton. In addition, the county was also known for its abundant mineral resources, particularly gold. The discovery of gold attracted many settlers to the area in the mid-19th century, leading to a significant increase in population and economic growth.

The county experienced significant changes during the Civil War, as it was located in close proximity to the Appalachian Mountains and the border with North Carolina. Towns County suffered both economically and socially during this time, as many men from the area enlisted in the Confederate Army and the county struggled to recover from the damages of the war. However, in the years following the war, the county began to rebound and diversify its economy.

In the 20th century, tourism became an important industry in Towns County, as its natural beauty and proximity to the Appalachian Trail attracted outdoor enthusiasts. The county is also home to the picturesque Lake Chatuge, which offers opportunities for fishing, boating, and other recreational activities. Today, Towns County continues to thrive as a popular destination for both residents and tourists, with a strong focus on preserving its natural resources and promoting sustainable development.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Towns County, Georgia.

  • 1837 - Towns County is established on March 6, 1837.
  • 1840 - The first courthouse is built in what is now Hiawassee.
  • 1861-1865 - Towns County residents actively participate in the American Civil War.
  • 1872 - Hiawassee becomes the county seat.
  • 1930s - Construction of Chatuge Dam and creation of Lake Chatuge stimulates economic growth.
  • 1947 - Brasstown Bald, the highest point in Georgia, is designated as a state park.
  • 1967 - Young Harris College relocates to Towns County, contributing to the local economy and cultural scene.
  • 1980 - The Georgia Mountain Fair is established and becomes an annual event.
  • 1990s - Growth in tourism and retirement communities leads to increased development in the county.
  • 2020 - Towns County continues to thrive as a popular destination for outdoor recreation and scenic beauty.