Historical Markers in
Stephens County, Georgia

Acree Mitchell Grocery Store Administration Building Alan Todd Yearwood Memorial Garden Andrews-Hamby Men's Store Bandy Cottage Alumni House Bandy Music Hall Bank of Toccoa Barron and Lawrence 5 and 10 Cent Store Belk-Gallant Building Blumenthal's Capt. A.H. Ramsay, C.V. Citizens Bank Clipper Barber Shop Colonel William Wofford Dining Hall & Chapel Earl Hall Eastanollee Baptist Church Forrest Hall - Ball Field G.I. Hill & The Steel Buildings Gate Cottage George Washington Hitt Green's Bargain Annex Haddock Inn Harper Home Harper's 5 and 10 Cent Store Historic Traveler's Rest Hudgins Furniture In Loving Remembrance Jarrett Manor Kelly Barnes Dam Break Monument Kelly Dam Disaster LeTourneau Hall Main Street Café Martha Park Dress Shop McBath Home McCurry's Men's Shop McNeely & Company Morrison Hall - Old Barn Nickel Back Old Tugaloo Town Parker Newman Drugstore and Soda Shop Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel Paul Anderson Paul Anderson Memorial Park Pool Room R. L. Smith Furniture and Appliance Ralls Dormitory & Broom Factory Red Apple Grocery / Sears Red Hollow Road Reverend Andrew Cauthen Craft and Susan Blake Craft Ring Music Hall Slavery at Traveler's Rest Staley Cottage Stephen County Fallen Veterans Monument Stephens County Stephens County Confederate Monument Stephens County High School Stephens County Revolutionary Soldiers Monument Stephens County World War I Monument Stephens Federal Bank Stewart Hall Terrell Building The Bell The Col. Robert Sink Memorial Trail The Elementary School The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant The Rebel The Star Theater The Tents The Toccoa Record Thomas H. White Photo Lab Toccoa City Hall Toccoa Falls College World War II Memorial Toccoa Korean War Monument Traveler's Rest Traveler's Rest State Historic Site Troup's Studio Tugalo Baptist Church and Cemetery Western Auto Associate Store Woerner World Missions Center "Indian Rock"
Available on Amazon
Georgia was the site of the first American gold rush, but it was also the site of the first American oil rush. In 1905, oil was discovered in Bibb County, and the state's oil industry began to grow rapidly.
Stephens County, located in northeastern Georgia, has a rich history that dates back to the early 19th century. The area was originally inhabited by Cherokee and Creek Native American tribes, who later ceded their land to the state of Georgia through various treaties. The county was established in 1905 and named after Alexander H. Stephens, a prominent politician during the Civil War era and vice president of the Confederacy.

Following the creation of the county, economic development quickly took off. Timber became a major industry, with vast forests providing job opportunities for the growing population. Additionally, agriculture played a significant role in the region's economy, with cotton being the primary cash crop during the early years.

One of the county's defining moments in history came during the Civil War. Stephens County was heavily divided, with some residents supporting the Union while others supported the Confederacy. The Battle of Toccoa, fought on November 16, 1864, resulted in a Union victory and occupation of the area. This marked a turning point for the county, as it experienced significant losses and economic decline during the war years.

In the decades that followed, Stephens County slowly began to recover and rebuild. The arrival of the railroad in 1873 provided a much-needed boost to the local economy, connecting the county to larger markets and facilitating the growth of industries such as textiles and granite quarrying. The county also embraced the tobacco industry, becoming one of the leading tobacco producers in Georgia.

Today, Stephens County remains an important center for agriculture, manufacturing, and outdoor recreation. With its diverse history and natural beauty, the county continues to attract visitors and serves as a reminder of the challenges and triumphs that have shaped this vibrant community.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Stephens County, Georgia.

  • 1825: Stephens County is established as the 129th county in Georgia.
  • 1833: The city of Toccoa is incorporated.
  • 1848: Toccoa Falls College (formerly known as Toccoa Falls Institute) is founded.
  • 1913: The city of Toccoa becomes the county seat of Stephens County.
  • 1940s: Camp Toccoa, a military training camp, is established during World War II.
  • 1977: Stephens County Historical Society is founded to collect and preserve local history.
  • 1997: The Currahee Military Museum is opened to honor the soldiers who trained at Camp Toccoa and served during WWII.
  • 2011: The Toccoa-Stephens County Airport expands and adds a new runway.