The city of Savannah, Georgia was the first planned city in America. It was laid out in a grid pattern with squares for public use, and this design was later copied by other cities throughout the country.
Heard County, located in the state of Georgia, has a rich and diverse history that stretches back centuries. The area was initially inhabited by various Indigenous tribes, including the Creek and Cherokee Nations, who left behind traces of their culture and heritage.

European settlers arrived in the region during the 18th century, gradually pushing out the Native American populations. The county was officially established in 1830 and named after Stephen Heard, a Revolutionary War soldier and politician. Its location along the Chattahoochee River made it an important trading hub and brought economic growth to the area.

The antebellum period saw the rise of a prosperous agricultural economy in Heard County, primarily based on cotton plantations. The use of enslaved laborers was prevalent during this time, contributing to the county's wealth and political influence within the state. However, the Civil War and the abolition of slavery brought significant changes to the area, causing economic hardships and reshaping the social order.

In the post-war era, Heard County experienced a slow but steady recovery. The introduction of new industries, such as textile mills and manufacturing plants, provided job opportunities and helped rebuild the local economy. Today, Heard County is known for its natural beauty, historic sites, and strong sense of community, offering residents and visitors a glimpse into its past while embracing the opportunities of the present.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Heard County, Georgia.

  • 1819 - Heard County was established on December 22.
  • 1822 - Franklin became the county seat.
  • 1832 - Centralhatchee was established as a town.
  • 1838 - The county seat was moved from Franklin to Centralhatchee.
  • 1874 - Ephesus was incorporated as a town.
  • 1935 - The county's courthouse was destroyed by a fire.
  • 1936 - Franklin was reestablished as the county seat.
  • 1976 - The Heard County Historical Society was founded.