National Register Listings in
Fulton County, Georgia

61 16th Street Apartment Building 63 Magnum Street Industrial Building 696 Peachtree Street Apartments 705 Piedmont Avenue Apartments Academy of Medicine Adair Park Historic District Adams, Charles R., Park (Additional Documentation) Adams, Jack and Helen, Lustron House Alberta Drive-Mathieson Drive-West Shadowlawn Avenue Historic District Alexander, Cecil and Hermione, House Ansley Park Historic District Ansley Park Historic District (Boundary Increase, Decrease and Additional Documentation) Apartments at 2 Collier Road Apartments at 22-24 Collier Road Arnold, Thomas P., House Ashby Street Car Barn Atkins Park District Atlanta and West Point Railroad Freight Depot Atlanta Biltmore Hotel and Biltmore Apartments Atlanta Buggy Company and Warehouse-Hatcher Bros. Furniture Company Atlanta City Hall Atlanta Spring and Bed Company-Block Candy Company Atlanta Stockade Atlanta University Center District Atlanta Waterworks Hemphill Avenue Station Atlanta Women's Club B. Mifflin Hood Brick Company Building Ballard, Levi, House Baltimore Block Barrington Hall Bass Furniture Building Beavers, John F., House Berkeley Park Historic District Brazeal, Dr. Brailsford R., House Briarcliff Hotel Briarcliff Plaza Brittain, Dr. Marion Luther, Sr., House Brookhaven Historic District Brookwood Hills Historic District Building at 161 Spring St. Building at 760-768 Confederate Avenue Bulloch Hall Burns Cottage Butler Street Colored Methodist Episcopal Church Cabbagetown District Campbell County Courthouse Candler Building Canton Apartments Capital City Club Capitol View Historic District Capitol View Manor Historic District Cascade Heights Commercial Historic District Castleberry Hill Historic District Central Presbyterian Church Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Citizen's and Southern Bank Building Coca-Cola Building Annex College Park Historic District College Street School Collier Heights Historic District Collier-Perry-Bentley House Cooledge, F. J., and Sons, Company-Hastings' Seed Company Cox-Carlton Hotel Crescent Apartments Crogman, William H., School Cyclorama of the Battle of Atlanta Davis, H.B., Building-Hotel Roxy Degive's Grand Opera House Dixie Coca-Cola Bottling Company Plant East Point Industrial District Ellis, Rutherford and Martha, House Empire Manufacturing Company Building English Avenue School English-American Building Epting, Thomas and Rae, Lustron House F.H. Ross & Company Laundry Warehouse Fairburn Commercial Historic District Fairlie-Poplar Historic District Farlinger Fire Station No. 11 First Congregational Church First Methodist Episcopal Church, South First Presbyterian Church of Atlanta Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant Forscom Command Sergeant Major's Quarters Fort Peace Fox Theatre Fox Theatre Historic District Freeman Ford Building Fulton County Almshouse Fulton County Courthouse Garden Hills Historic District Garrison Apartments General Electric Company Repair Shop Warehouse Georgia Institute of Technology Historic District Georgia State Capitol Gilbert, Jeremiah S., House Glenn Building Goodrum, May Patterson, House Grady Hospital Grant Park Historic District Grant Park North Grant, W. D., Building Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company Griffith School of Music Habersham Memorial Hall Hapeville Historic District Harris, Joel Chandler, House Healey Building Herndon Home Highland School Home Park School Hotel Clermont Hotel Row Historic District House at 690 South Boulevard Howell Interlocking Historic District Howell Station Historic District Howell, Mrs. George Arthur, Jr., House Hurt Building Imperial Hotel Inman Park Inman Park Historic District Boundary Increase Inman Park-Moreland Historic District Inman Park-Moreland Historic District (Boundary Increase) Island Ford Lodge King Plow Company King, Martin Luther, Jr., Historic District King, Martin Luther, Jr., National Historic Site and Preservation District Kiser, M.C., Company Building Knight, William and Ruth, Lustron House Knox Apartments, Cauthorn House and Peachtree Road Apartments Historic District Kriegshaber, Victor H., House Lakewood Heights Historic District Lindridge-Martin Manor Historic District Long, Crawford W., Memorial Hospital Manuel's Tavern Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic District (Boundary Increase) Means Street Historic District Medical Arts Building Memorial to the Six Million Meredith, Kenneth and Hazel, House Methodist Cemetery Midtown Historic District Mozley Park Historic District National NuGrape Company New Hope African Methodist Episcopal Church and Cemetery Newtown Elementary School Nicolson, William P., House North Avenue Presbyterian Church Oakland Cemetery Oakland City Historic District Odd Fellows Building and Auditorium Omega Chapter of the Chi Phi Fraternity Orr, J. K., Shoe Company Palmer House and Phelan House Apartments Park Street Methodist Episcopal Church, South Peachtree Center Historic District Peachtree Christian Church Peachtree Heights Park Peachtree Highlands Historic District Peachtree Highlands-Peachtree Park Historic District Peachtree Southern Railway Station Peters, Edward C., House Piedmont Park Piedmont Park Apartments Pitts, Thomas H., House and Dairy Pittsburgh Historic District Raoul, William G., House Retail Credit Company Home Office Building Reynoldstown Historic District Rhodes Memorial Hall Rhodes-Haverty Building Roberts, Isaac, House Rock Spring Presbyterian Church Rose, Rufus M., House Roswell Historic District Rucker, Simeon and Jane, Log House Sardis Methodist Church and Cemetery Sciple, Charles E., House Sears, Roebuck and Co. Mail-Order Warehouse and Retail Store Selig Company Building Shrine of the Immaculate Conception Smith, Archibald, House Smith, Tullie, House Southern Bell Telephone Company Building Southern Belting Company Building Southern Dairies Southern Railway North Avenue Yards Historic District Southern Spring Bed Company Sperry & Hutchinson Company Warehouse Spotswood Hall St. Andrews Apartments St. Mark Methodist Church Staff Row and Old Post Area (Boundary Increase) Staff Row and Old Post Area-Fort McPherson Stewart Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church South Stone Hall, Atlanta University Stonewall Park Historic District Swan House Sweet Auburn Historic District Techwood Homes Historic District Temple, The Texas, The Thornton, Albert E., House Thorton Building Tompkins, Henry B., House Trio Steam Laundry Troy Peerless Laundry Building Trust Company of Georgia Northeast Freeway Branch Trygveson Tyler, Mary Elizabeth, House Tyree Building U.S. Post Office and Courthouse Underground Atlanta Historic District United States Post Office, Federal Annex Utoy Cemetery Van Winkle, E., Gin and Machine Works Villa Lamar Virginia-Highland Historic District Wallace, Anne, Branch-Carnegie Library of Atlanta Washington Park Historic District Washington, Booker T., High School West End Historic District Western Electric Company Building Westinghouse Electric Company Building Westview Cemetery Whitehall Street Retail Historic District Whittier Mills Historic District Winecoff Hotel Winnwood Apartments Winship, George, Jr., and Emily, House Witham, Stuart, House Wynne-Claughton Building Yonge Street School
Available on Amazon
The first gold rush in America happened in Georgia in 1828, when gold was discovered in the northwestern part of the state. This discovery led to the creation of the Dahlonega Mint, which produced gold coins until the outbreak of the Civil War.
Fulton County, Georgia has a rich and diverse history that spans centuries. The area that now comprises Fulton County was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Creek and Cherokee. European settlers arrived in the late 18th century and established trading posts and farms along the Chattahoochee River.

In 1853, Fulton County was created from portions of DeKalb, Cobb, and Campbell counties. Its formation was a result of Atlanta's rapid growth as a railroad hub, as well as its status as the capital of Georgia. The county was named after Robert Fulton, the inventor of the steamboat.

During the Civil War, Fulton County played a significant role as a major supply and transportation center for the Confederacy. Atlanta, the county seat, was a key target for Union troops. In 1864, General William T. Sherman led his famous March to the Sea, devastating Atlanta and much of Fulton County.

After the war, Fulton County experienced a period of rebuilding and growth. The city of Atlanta became a prominent center for commerce and industry in the South. With the expansion of railroads and the establishment of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Fulton County became a major transportation hub and economic powerhouse.

Today, Fulton County is the most populous county in Georgia, with a vibrant cultural scene, diverse communities, and a thriving economy. It is home to numerous Fortune 500 companies, prestigious universities, and world-class sporting events. Fulton County continues to evolve and adapt to the changing needs of its residents, while preserving its rich cultural heritage.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Fulton County, Georgia.

  • 1845: Fulton County is created on December 20th, out of the western half of DeKalb County.
  • 1853: Atlanta becomes the county seat after winning a county seat war against neighboring town, Marietta.
  • 1864: During the Civil War, Atlanta is captured by Union forces led by General William T. Sherman.
  • 1871: The first horse-drawn streetcar line begins operating in Atlanta.
  • 1907: Atlanta's first professional baseball team, the Atlanta Crackers, is founded.
  • 1956: Civil rights activist Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. leads the Montgomery Bus Boycott, sparking a nationwide movement for equality.
  • 1973: The iconic Atlanta stadium, later known as the Fulton County Stadium, is completed.
  • 1996: Atlanta hosts the Summer Olympics, showcasing the city's growth and development.
  • 2000: The Georgia Dome, a multi-purpose sports and convention center, opens in Atlanta.
  • 2017: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, home to the Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United FC, opens its doors.