Available on Amazon
Georgia was the site of the first European settlement in what is now the United States. In 1565, the Spanish established a settlement on St. Simons Island, which is now part of Georgia.
Chattahoochee County, located in western Georgia along the Chattahoochee River, has a rich and diverse history. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, such as the Muscogee Creek, who relied on the river for transportation and sustenance. During the early 19th century, European settlers began to arrive in the region, establishing farms and small communities.

In 1854, Chattahoochee County was officially created from portions of Marion and Muscogee counties. The county was named after the Chattahoochee River, which forms its western boundary. The economy of the county predominantly revolved around agriculture, with cotton being the primary crop. The use of enslaved labor was prevalent in the antebellum era, with many plantations operating in the area.

During the Civil War, Chattahoochee County witnessed significant military activity due to its strategic location on the river. Union forces sought to control the river to disrupt Confederate supply lines, leading to several skirmishes and the burning of nearby Confederate saltworks. The aftermath of the war saw a decline in agriculture and economic struggles for the county.

In the 20th century, Chattahoochee County experienced a shift towards a more diverse economy with the arrival of industries such as textiles and lumber. The establishment of Fort Benning in neighboring Muscogee County also brought economic benefits to the region. Today, Chattahoochee County continues to evolve, with a focus on preserving its history and natural resources while embracing economic growth and development.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Chattahoochee County, Georgia.

  • 1830: Chattahoochee County is created on February 13th from parts of Muscogee and Troup Counties.
  • 1832: The county seat, Cusseta, is incorporated.
  • 1865: The Civil War ends, and Chattahoochee County, like many other areas in the South, begins the process of rebuilding.
  • 1877: Chattahoochee County's courthouse, which had been destroyed during the Civil War, is rebuilt.
  • 1903: The Georgia Military Academy opens in Cusseta, later becoming part of the U.S. Army's Fort Benning.
  • 1924: The Chattahoochee County Courthouse is destroyed by fire and later rebuilt the following year.
  • 1941: The U.S. Army establishes Fort Benning as a major Army installation, significantly impacting the economy and population of Chattahoochee County.
  • 2000: The Chattahoochee County Education Center is established, providing educational opportunities for the local community.