The Miami Beach Art Deco District is home to the largest collection of Art Deco architecture in the world, with over 800 buildings from the 1920s and 1930s still standing and in use today.
Columbia County, Florida has a rich history dating back thousands of years to its original inhabitants, Native American tribes such as the Timucua and Seminole. European exploration and settlement began in the 16th century when Spanish explorers arrived in Florida, including Hernando de Soto. However, it was not until the 19th century that permanent settlement began in what is now Columbia County.

The area that would become Columbia County was originally part of Alachua County until it was established as a separate county in 1832. The name "Columbia" was chosen to honor Christopher Columbus. The region quickly grew with the establishment of plantations, mainly producing cotton and tobacco. The county's economy relied heavily on slave labor during this time.

Columbia County played a significant role in the Civil War, as Florida seceded from the Union and joined the Confederate States of America. Many local residents fought in the war, and the region experienced hardships and destruction as Union troops moved through the area. After the war, the county slowly began to rebuild its economy.

In the 20th century, Columbia County saw various changes and advancements. The arrival of the railroad in the late 1800s connected the county to the rest of the state, facilitating commerce and trade. Agriculture remained a significant part of the economy, while industries such as timber, phosphate mining, and tourism also emerged as important sectors. Today, Columbia County continues to grow and develop, preserving its historical roots while embracing modern progress.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Columbia County, Florida.

  • 1832 - Columbia County is created as a part of the Territory of Florida
  • 1834 - The county seat is established in Alligator, which later becomes Lake City
  • 1861-1865 - During the American Civil War, Columbia County supports the Confederacy
  • 1874 - Lake City becomes the new county seat
  • 1879 - The first railroad reaches Lake City, boosting economic development
  • 1909 - Columbia County's first courthouse is built
  • 1942-1945 - Lake City serves as a training and refueling center for U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II
  • 1962 - The Columbia County School District is racially integrated
  • 1993 - Olustee Battlefield is designated a National Historic Site
  • 2008 - Columbia County celebrates its 175th anniversary