Historical Markers in
Kent County, Delaware

148th Fighter Interceptor Squadron 2nd Ferrying Group 61st Troop Carrier Squadron A-26C Afghanistan-Iraq Memorial Allee House American Legion Veterans Memorial An Army of Restoration (CCC) AN/GPN-20 Airport Surveillance Radar Annie Jump Cannon Armed Forces Memorial Asian American and Pacific Islander U.S. Air Force Memorial Barratt's Chapel Barratt's Chapel Battles and Engagements of the Delaware Regiment Berlin Airlift Memorial Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church Bethel Methodist Church Bioretention Bishop Richard Allen Booker T. Washington School Brecknock Byfield Byrd's African Methodist Episcopal Church C-119G C-121C C-123K C-130E C-131D C-133 Cargomaster C-133B C-141A C-141B C-45G C-54M C-5A C-60 C-7A C-9A/C Caesar Rodney Caesar Rodney Caesar Rodney School District Calvary Baptist Church Camden Camden Camden Friends Meeting Captain Jonathan Caldwell Charles Inglis Cheney Clow's Rebellion Cheswold Volunteer Fire Company Christ Church Citizens' Hose Company No. 1. Inc. Clark's Corner Clayton Veterans Park Colonel John Haslet Colonel John Haslet Coming of the Railroad Commemoration Park Commodore Jacob Jones Constitution Park Continuity & Progress Cow Marsh Primitive Baptist Church Dedicated To All Who Served Delaware 9/11 Memorial Delaware Decides Delaware Public Archives Delaware State College Delaware State College High School Delaware State Fair Delaware Women's Service Monument Delaware's Medal of Honor Recipients Delaware's Struggle for Women's Right to Vote Did you know... Dover Dover Dover Dover Downs Dover International Speedway Dover Light Infantry Dupont School East Dover Hundred Eden Hill Farm F-101B F-106A Felton Railroad Station First Rural Free Delivery Route Former Site of ILC Dover Former site of Whitehall Plantation Geographic Center of Delaware Gov. George Truitt Home Griffith's Chapel Hall House Hangar 1301 Harrington Home of Allen McLane Home of John Dickinson Home of Judge Thomas White Honor and Remember Immigrant Jewish Farms In Memory of Victor D. Ennis In the Council Chamber of Elizabeth Battell's Golden Fleece Tavern John Bell House John Hunn John M. Clayton Joseph Oliver KB-50J KC-135E Kent County Courthouses (1680-1983) Kenton Hundred Kitts Hummock Korean War Veterans Memorial Lakeside Cemetery Veterans Memorial Laws Chapel Legislative Hall - Delaware's Capitol Building Legislative Hall: Delaware's Capitol Building LGM-30 Liberty Bell Reproduction Liberty Tree Memorial Little Creek Hundred Little Creek Hundred Little Creek United Methodist Church Loockerman Hall Loockerman House Maj. McLane Bridge Lake Como Spillway Mason-Dixon Crownstone Milford Milford Milford Veterans Memorial Mispillion River Greenway Historical Sites Morning Star Institutional Church of God in Christ, Inc. Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church Murderkill / Motherkiln Friends Meeting Nicholas Ridgely North Murderkill Hundred Observation Tower at Big Stone Beach Octagonal School House Old Christ Church Old Presbyterian Church Old Stone Tavern Operation Silent Witness P-51 Mustang Parson Thorne Mansion Pearl Harbor Memorial Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Inc. POW-MIA Presbyterian Church of Smyrna Rescue House of Prayer Revolutionary War Patriot John Banning Richardson and Robbins Complex Ridgely House Roby United Methodist Church Samuel D. Burris School District No. 5 Sgt. John B. Maberry Site of Blackiston Methodist Church Site of Dover's First Methodist Church Site of Duck Creek Presbyterian Church Site of Green Pottery Site Of Kent County’s First Presbyterian Church Site of King George’s Tavern Site of Milford's First Methodist Church Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church Site of the Duck Creek Society of Friends Site of the Home of General Alfred T.A. Torbert Site of Whatcoat Church Smyrna Opera House and Old Town Hall St. Jones Neck St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church St. Peter's Episcopal Church St. Peter's Episcopal Church Star Hill A.M.E. Church State House State of Delaware World War I Memorial T-33A The Barracks The Bayonets of the Revolution The Capitol Theater The Compass Rose The Congressional Medal of Honor The Delaware Continentals The Delaware House The Delaware Line The Delaware Regiment The First State Heritage Park of Dover The First State Heritage Park of Dover The Golden Fleece Tavern The Gray Box Chateau The Green The History of the Howell Mill Site The John Cummins Mansion The St. Jones River: Why the Mansion Faces South The Towers Thomas D. Clayton School Thomas Stevenson House Thomas' Chapel Thornley House Timothy Hanson House Todd's Chapel United Methodist Church Town of Bowers Town of Clayton Town of Farmington Town of Felton Town of Kenton Town of Little Creek Town of Wyoming U-3A UH-1H Union Cemetery Union Lodge No.7, A.F. & A.M. USS Delaware VC-9C Veterans Memorial Veterans Memorial Vietnam Memorial Warner Mifflin Wesley College Wesley United Methodist Church West Dover Hundred Women in the Military Memorial Woodburn Woodburn: The Governor's House World War II Memorial Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church "First in the World" "First in the World"
In the 19th century, the District of Delaware was known for its production of gunpowder, and several gunpowder mills were established in the region. One of the most famous mills was the Hagley Powder Mills, which were founded by the DuPont family in the early 1800s. The mills were a major supplier of gunpowder to the U.S. military during the Civil War.
Kent County, located in the state of Delaware, has a rich and diverse history that dates back to the colonial era. The area was originally inhabited by the Lenape people before European settlers arrived in the early 17th century. The first permanent European settlement in the county was established by the Dutch in 1631, but they were soon displaced by the English who took control of the region.

During the 18th century, Kent County played a significant role in American history, particularly during the American Revolution. The county's proximity to important waterways, such as the Delaware River, made it a strategic location for trade and transportation. Dover, the county seat, became the state capital in 1777 and hosted the state's constitutional convention. It was also the site of the historic Golden Fleece Tavern, where the Constitution of Delaware was ratified.

In the 19th century, Kent County experienced economic growth and development, largely centered around agriculture and industry. The county became known for its large agricultural estates, such as Dover's Green Thatch Plantation, which contributed to the region's prosperity. With the advent of railroads, transportation became more efficient, allowing for easier movement of goods and people.

In the 20th century, Kent County saw further growth and diversification. The establishment of Dover Air Force Base during World War II brought economic opportunities and employment to the area. Additionally, the county's location between two major cities, Philadelphia and Baltimore, contributed to its role as a transportation hub and a growing business center. Today, Kent County continues to thrive as a blend of agricultural, industrial, and residential communities, while also preserving its historical heritage through numerous museums, historic sites, and landmarks.

This timeline provides a concise overview of the key events in the history of Kent County, Delaware.

  • 1680: Kent County was established as one of three original counties in Delaware.
  • 1682: The county's first courthouse was built in Duck Creek Crossroads, now known as Smyrna.
  • 1701: Kent County became the new capital of Delaware, replacing New Castle.
  • 1777: The Battle of Cooch's Bridge, the only Revolutionary War battle fought in Delaware, took place in the county.
  • 1787: Delaware became the first state to ratify the United States Constitution at the Golden Fleece Tavern in Dover.
  • 1829: The Delaware Railroad was established, connecting Kent County to the growing transportation network.
  • 1865: The Thirteenth Amendment, abolishing slavery, was ratified by Delaware in Dover.
  • 1978: The Delaware Agricultural Museum and Village opened in Dover, showcasing the county's agricultural history.
  • 2013: Kent County celebrated its 330th anniversary with various events and activities.