National Register Listings in
Pinal County, Arizona

Acadia Ranch All Saint's Church American Flag Post Office Ranch Arballo, Ramon, House Avenenti, Encarnacion, House Bayless, Earl, House Baylis, Wilbur O./Grasty House Bien/McNatt House Brockway, Dr. George M. and Esther A., House Building at 121 North Florence Street Building at 400 East Third Street Butte-Cochran Charcoal Ovens Carminatti-Perham House Casa Grande Dispatch Casa Grande Hospital Casa Grande Hotel Casa Grande National Monument Casa Grande Stone Church Casa Grande Union High School and Gymnasium Casa Grande Woman's Club Building Central Creditors Association Building Church of the Nazarene Colton, Albert and Freeman, H. H., House Coolidge Woman's Club Cox, William, Building Cruz Trading Post Day, Judge William T., House Devil's Canyon Bridge Douglass, James S. Melquides E., House Evergreen Addition Historic District (Additional Documentation) First Baptist Church First Florence Courthouse First Presbyterian Church of Florence Florence Townsite Historic District Florence Union High School Fulbright, Thomas, House Harvey-Niemeyer House Henry, C. D., House Hohokam-Pima National Monument House at 222 West Ninth St. House at 317 East Eighth Street House at 320 West Eighth Street House at 323 West Eighth St. House at 59 North Brown Avenue House at 736 North Center Avenue House at North Lehmberg Avenue Huffman, Dr. George, House Johnson's Grocery Store Kannally Ranch Kelvin Bridge Kilcrease, V.W., Building Kochsmeier, Henry and Anna, House Kratzka, Gus, House La Casa del High Jinks Laundry Building Lehmberg, Dr. H. B., House Lincoln Hospital Littlefield, Inez and Davis, Bea, House Lorona, Andronico, Second House Magma Hotel Mandell and Meyer Building Manjarres House McGee, James and Mary, House Meehan/Gaar House Mineral Creek Bridge Paramount Theatre Period Revival House Picacho Pass Skirmish Site-Overland Mail Co. Stage Station at Picacho Pass Pierson, Adrian, House Pinal County Courthouse Pioneer Market Prettyman's Meat Market and Grocery/Brigg's Jeweler Price, W. Y., House Queen Creek Bridge Queen Creek Bridge Rancho Linda Vista Rancho Solano S.S. Blinky Jr. Building Sacaton Dam Bridge Saint Anthony's Church and Rectory San Tan Canal Bridge Shonessy Building/Don Chun Wo Store Shonessy House Snaketown Stone Bungalow Stone Warehouse Templeton, Benjamin, House Thompson, Boyce, Southwestern Arboretum Truman-Randall House Valley National Bank Vasquez House Ward's Variety Store Warner, P. C., First House White House Wilbur, Walter, House Wilson, C. J. (Blinky), House Winkelman Bridge
Before becoming a US territory in 1848, Arizona was part of Mexico. The Mexican government established the region as part of the state of Sonora, but it later became its own separate territory.
Pinal County, located in south-central Arizona, has a rich and diverse history that stretches back thousands of years. The area was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Akimel O'odham (Pima) and the Tohono O'odham (Papago) peoples, who relied on farming and hunting for sustenance.

In the 16th century, Spanish explorers arrived in the region and established missions, bringing with them new technologies and crops. The area would later become part of the New Spain territory and, eventually, Mexico after gaining independence from Spain in 1821.

In the mid-19th century, the region experienced a significant influx of American settlers due to the discovery of gold and silver deposits. This led to the establishment of mining towns such as Silver King and the growth of other industries like ranching and agriculture. However, conflicts with Native American tribes and the harsh desert environment presented challenges to the early pioneers.

The arrival of the Southern Pacific Railroad in the 1870s brought further growth and development to Pinal County. Railroads played a crucial role in transporting goods and people, facilitating trade and commerce with neighboring regions. The county's economy flourished during this period, driven by mining, farming, and the construction of towns along the rail lines.

In recent decades, Pinal County has experienced rapid population growth, driven in part by its proximity to the Phoenix metropolitan area. Today, the county boasts a diverse economy, with sectors such as agriculture, manufacturing, retail, and tourism playing a significant role in its development. Pinal County continues to embrace its rich past while looking toward a vibrant and promising future.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Pinal County, Arizona.

  • 1875: Pinal County is established in the Arizona Territory.
  • 1877: Florence is designated as the county seat.
  • 1891: Mining begins in the Silver King Mine, leading to a population boom in the county.
  • 1901: Kearny, Arizona, is founded as a mining town.
  • 1918-1919: A flu pandemic hits Pinal County, causing significant loss of life.
  • 1942: The Japanese internment camp, Gila River War Relocation Center, is established in Pinal County during World War II.
  • 1947: Construction of the Coolidge Dam on the Gila River is completed.
  • 1985: The town of Queen Creek incorporates, becoming the newest municipality in Pinal County.
  • 2003: Pinal County experiences rapid growth, becoming one of the fastest-growing counties in the United States.