National Register Listings in
Mohave County, Arizona

Anderson, Max J., House Anderson, R. L., House Armour and Jacobson Building AT & SF Locomotive AT & T Building Big House Black, Arthur F., House Blakeley, William G., House Blakely, Ross H., House Bonelli House Brown, Duff T., House Building at 218 Spring Carr, Raymond, House Dennis, Foster S., House Desert Power & Water Co., Electric Power Plant Durlin Hotel Elk's Lodge No. 468 Elliott, S. T., House Gates, J. M., House Gruninger, W. A., Building Gymnasium Hardyville Cemetery Horse Valley Ranch House at 105 Spring St. House at 519 Golconda House at 527 Pine House at 536 Park House at 809 Grand View Householder, Ross E., House Hubbs House IOOF Building John Osterman Gas Station Kayser, George R., House Kingman Army Air Forces Flexible Gunnery School Radio Tower Kingman Commercial Historic District Kingman Grammar School Lefever House Little Red School Livingston, Dr. David S., House Lovin & Withers Investment House Lovin and Withers Cottages Mahoney, W. P., House Masonic Temple Mohave County Courthouse and Jail Mohave County Hospital Oatman Drug Company Building Old Trails Bridge Peach Springs Trading Post Pipe Spring National Monument Pipe Spring National Monument Historic District (Boundary Increase) Saint John's Methodist Episcopal Church Saint Mary's Catholic Church Sand Hollow Wash Bridge Sargent, Mrs. M. P., House Schoolhouse at Truxton Canyon Training School Sullivan, G. H., Lodging House Tyrell House US Post Office Van Marter Building Walker, O. E., House White, Dr. Toler R., House Williams, E. B., House Wright, J. B., House Ziemer, Charles, House
Before becoming a US territory in 1848, Arizona was part of Mexico. The Mexican government established the region as part of the state of Sonora, but it later became its own separate territory.
Mohave County, located in northwest Arizona, has a rich and diverse history dating back thousands of years. The region was originally inhabited by various indigenous tribes, including the Mohave, Hualapai, and Paiute. These tribes thrived along the Colorado River, relying on hunting, fishing, and gathering.

The first recorded European contact in the area occurred in the 16th century, when Spanish explorers journeyed through the Colorado River. However, it wasn't until the mid-19th century that the region witnessed significant settlement. Mining became a crucial industry during this period, with the discovery of gold and silver deposits in places such as Cerbat and Chloride. These mining towns attracted a diverse population, including prospectors, miners, and entrepreneurs.

In 1864, Mohave County was established, named after the Mohave people who inhabited the area. The county's strategic position along the Colorado River made it an important transportation and trade hub. Steamboats became a common sight, ferrying goods and people along the river. The completion of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad in 1883 further boosted the county's growth and development, facilitating the movement of resources and people.

In the 20th century, Mohave County continued to thrive, experiencing population growth and economic diversification. The construction of the Hoover Dam in the 1930s brought enormous changes to the region, creating Lake Mead and generating electricity. The dam not only provided employment opportunities but also attracted tourists to the area. Today, Mohave County is known for its stunning natural landscapes, including the Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu, and portions of the Mojave Desert. The county is an increasingly popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts, retirees, and those seeking a peaceful desert lifestyle.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Mohave County, Arizona.

  • 1864 - Mohave County is established as one of the original four counties of the Arizona Territory.
  • 1867 - The county seat is established in Hardyville (now a ghost town).
  • 1887 - The county seat is moved to Kingman, which later becomes the largest city in Mohave County.
  • 1911 - The famous Oatman gold rush occurs, attracting many prospectors to the area.
  • 1938 - Hoover Dam is completed on the Colorado River, bringing economic growth to Mohave County.
  • 1947 - Bullhead City is founded, becoming a major city in the county over the years.
  • 1963 - Lake Mead National Recreation Area is established, encompassing parts of Mohave County.
  • 2000 - The population of Mohave County reaches over 140,000 people.
  • 2009 - The Historic Route 66 Museum is opened in Kingman, showcasing the county's connection to the famous highway.