National Register Listings in
Mobile County, Alabama

Africatown Historic District Aimwell Baptist Church Ashland Place Historic District Askew, Wade, House Austin, Hiram B., House Automobile Alley Historic District Azalea Court Apartments Barr's Subdivision Historic District Barton Academy Battle House Royale Beal-Gaillard House Bellingrath Gardens and Home Bishop Manor Estate (Additional Documentation) Blue Bird Hardware and Seed Bragg-Mitchell House Brisk & Jacobson Store Caldwell School Campground, The Carlen House Carolina Hall Cavellero House Center-Gaillard House Central Core Historic District Chickasaw Shipyard Village Historic District Church Street East Historic District Church Street East Historic District (Boundary Increase II) Church Street East Historic District (Boundary Increase) Citronelle Railroad Historic District Clark, Willis G., House Cleveland, U. J., House Coley Building Collins-Marston House Collins-Robinson House Common Street District Convent and Academy of the Visitation Convent of Mercy D'Iberville Apartments Dahm House Dauphin Island School Davis Avenue Branch, Mobile Public Library Davis Avenue Recreation Center Davis-Oak Grove District De Tonti Square Historic District Denby House Ellicott Stone Emanuel AME Church Emanuel Building Fearn, George, House Fire Station No. 5 First National Bank Fort Conde-Charlotte Fort Gaines Garrison, Charles Denby, Sr., House Gates-Daves House Georgia Cottage Government Street Presbyterian Church Grand Bay Historic District Greene-Marston House Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio Passenger Terminal Hawthorn House Horst, Martin, House Hunter House International Longshoreman's Association Hall Isle Dauphine Club Jossen, Joseph, House Kirkbride House Knox, Ross, House Lafayette Heights Historic District Leatherbury, George, House Leinkauf Historic District Levy, George, House Lindsey, Martin, House Lower Dauphin Street Commercial District Lower Dauphin Street Commercial District (Boundary Increase II) Lower Dauphin Street Commercial District (Boundary Increase III) Lower Dauphin Street Historic District Lower Dauphin Street Historic District (Boundary Increase) Magee, Jacob, House Magnolia Cemetery including Mobile National Cemetery Maysville Historic District Meaher-Zoghby House Megginson, Ernest, House Metzger House Middle Bay Light Midtown Historic District (Boundary Increase) Miller-O'Donnell House Mobile City Hall Mobile City Hospital Mobile Seamen's Club Building Monterey Place Morrison, James Arthur, House Mount Vernon Arsenal-Searcy Hospital Complex Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church No.1 Murphy High School Neville House Oakdale Historic District Oakleigh Oakleigh Garden Historic District Oakleigh Garden Historic District (Boundary Decrease & Additional Documentation) Oakleigh Garden Historic District (Boundary Increase) Old Dauphin Way Historic District Paterson House Paterson, J. E., House Patton, Dave, House Pfau-Creighton Cottage Phillipi House Pincus Building Portier, Bishop, House Protestant Children's Home Roberts House Saint Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church Saint Joseph's Roman Catholic Church Saint Matthew's Catholic Church Saint Paul's Episcopal Chapel Saint Vincent de Paul Scottish Rites Temple Semmes, Raphael, House Sodality Chapel South Lafayette Street Creole Cottages Spotswood, Robert L., House Spring Hill College Quadrangle St. Francis Street Methodist Church St. Louis Street Missionary Baptist Church State Street A.M.E. Zion Church Stewart, Amelia, House Stewartfield Stone Street Baptist Church Stone Street Cemetery Tanner Farmhouse Thompson, N. Q. and Virginia M., House Trinity Episcopal Church Tschiener House Turner-Todd Motor Company U.S. Marine Hospital United States Court House and Custom House USS ALABAMA (battleship) USS DRUM (submarine) VanderSys, Arthur, House VanderSys, Jacob, House Vickers and Schumacher Buildings Walker, Joseph M., House Weems House
The city of Huntsville, Alabama played a key role in the United States space program during the Cold War. The Redstone Arsenal, located in Huntsville, was the site of the development of the first ballistic missile, and later became the center of the U.S. Army's missile and rocket programs.
Mobile County, located in southwestern Alabama, has a rich and diverse history that spans centuries. The area was originally inhabited by indigenous Native American tribes, including the Mobile, Tensaw, and Choctaw peoples. The first European explorers to arrive in the area were Spanish explorers in the early 16th century. They established settlements along the Mobile Bay, including the city of Mobile, which would later become the county seat.

During the 18th century, Mobile County saw significant French, Spanish, and British influence as the area changed hands multiple times. In 1763, the Treaty of Paris ended the Seven Years' War and ceded Mobile and the rest of French Louisiana to the British. However, Spanish forces regained control of the region in 1780, and it became part of Spanish West Florida until 1813. It was then annexed by the United States and incorporated into the Mississippi Territory.

Mobile County played a pivotal role during the Civil War. As an important port city, it became a strategic target for both Union and Confederate forces. In 1864, Union forces captured Mobile, effectively cutting off a significant Confederate supply line and contributing to the ultimate collapse of the Confederacy. The post-war years brought recovery and rebuilding to the county, and Mobile remained an important center for commerce and industry.

In the 20th and 21st centuries, Mobile County continued to grow and develop. It became a major hub for the shipbuilding and aerospace industries, hosting companies like Austal USA and Airbus. The growth of these industries has contributed to the county's economic prosperity and population growth. Today, Mobile County remains a vibrant and diverse region, known for its rich cultural heritage, beautiful coastline, and growing industries.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Mobile County, Alabama.

  • 1700s - Mobile County was inhabited by Native American tribes including the Choctaw, Creek, and Mobile tribes.
  • 1702 - French settlers established the first European settlement in the region, known as Fort Louis de la Mobile.
  • 1763 - Mobile County became part of the British colony of West Florida after the French and Indian War.
  • 1783 - Mobile County became part of Spanish West Florida following the American Revolution.
  • 1813-1814 - Mobile County played a significant role in the Creek War, with the Battle of Holy Ground being a major conflict.
  • 1819 - Mobile County and the rest of Alabama became a territory of the United States.
  • 1821 - Mobile County was officially established as a county in the state of Alabama.
  • 1830s - Mobile County experienced rapid economic growth due to cotton production and the thriving port of Mobile.
  • 1861-1865 - Mobile County was heavily involved in the Civil War, with the city of Mobile serving as an important Confederate port.
  • 1901 - The Alabama Constitution was ratified, leading to segregation and disenfranchisement laws affecting Mobile County.
  • 1940s-1950s - Mobile County played a significant role in the Civil Rights Movement, with events such as the Mobile Bus Boycott.
  • 1970s - Mobile County experienced industrial growth with the development of the steel and shipbuilding industries.