National Register Listing in
Choctaw County, Alabama

Alabama was the birthplace of some of the most famous musicians in history, including Hank Williams, Nat King Cole, and W.C. Handy, who is often referred to as the "Father of the Blues."
Choctaw County, Alabama, has a rich and diverse history that dates back centuries. The area was once home to indigenous peoples, including the Choctaw tribe, who inhabited the region for thousands of years before the arrival of European settlers. In the 18th century, French explorers and traders made contact with the Choctaw people, establishing trade relationships and altering the native way of life.

During the 19th century, Choctaw County witnessed significant changes as European settlers, particularly from Scotland and England, began to establish communities and claim land. By the early 1800s, the region's population grew, leading to the creation of a separate county. Choctaw County was officially established in 1847, named after the Choctaw tribe.

Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, Choctaw County experienced economic growth due to the cultivation of cotton, timber, and farming. The county thrived as a vibrant agricultural community, with cotton became the primary cash crop. However, the emergence of the boll weevil infestation in the early 20th century, coupled with the Great Depression, caused significant economic setbacks for the county.

In recent years, Choctaw County has seen efforts to diversify its economy through the development of manufacturing, tourism, and alternative energy industries. Today, the county continues to preserve its historical heritage while embracing new opportunities for growth and development.

This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Choctaw County, Alabama.

  • 1816: Choctaw County was established on December 29 as part of the Alabama Territory.
  • 1830: The Indian Removal Act led to the forced removal of the Choctaw people from their ancestral lands in the county.
  • 1832: The Choctaw County courthouse was constructed in the town of Bladon Springs.
  • 1905: Womack's Mill, a prominent gristmill and sawmill, was established in the county.
  • 1921: The town of Pennington was incorporated on July 1.
  • 1950s: The timber industry became a significant economic driver in Choctaw County.
  • 1963: Choctaw County High School was established in Gilbertown.
  • 1989: The Choctaw County Historical Museum was opened in Gilbertown.
  • 2004: The Mississippi Choctaw Indian Reservation was established near the town of Butler in the county.