West Texas Woolen MillsHistorical marker location:
INTRODUCED TO THIS AREA IN 1883, SHEEP EXISTED IN LARGE NUMBERS THROUGHOUT THE REGION BY THE 1930s. PROMINENT LOCAL BANKER JOSEPH B. CHRISTIAN AND HIS SON, TEXTILE ENGINEER JOE MULLER CHRISTIAN, ERECTED THIS NATIVE STONE BUILDING TO HOUSE THE WEST TEXAS WOOLEN MILLS. TEXAS GOVERNOR W. LEE O'DANIEL ATTENDED THE GRAND OPENING IN 1941. IN 1942 THE PLANT WAS AWARDED A MAJOR WORLD WAR II CONTRACT TO MANUFACTURE ARMY BLANKETS. AFTER A SUCCESSFUL CONVERSION TO POSTWAR PRODUCTION, THE MILL BECAME A MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR TO THE AREA'S ECONOMY. THE CHRISTIANS SOLD THE LANDMARK MILL IN 1963.
RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - 1995
Marker year: 1994
As one of the most visible programs of the Texas Historical Commission (THC), historical markers commemorate diverse topics in Texas history, including: the history and architecture of houses, commercial and public buildings, religious congregations, and military sites; events that changed the course of local and state history; and individuals who have made lasting contributions to our state, community organizations, and businesses.