"Machine Gun" Kelley
Historical marker location:During the Prohibition Era, organized crime increased. Big-name gangsters like Al Capone ruled the streets while public enemies such as Bonnie and Clyde swept across the country. One of the most infamous criminals of this time was George Francis Barnes Jr., also known as George B. “Machine Gun” Kelley. Born on July 17, 1900, in Chicago, Barnes grew up in Memphis. He briefly held a job and family, but following divorce and the loss of his job, he fell into bootlegging. He built up a nasty reputation, being jailed numerous times, and headed westward by the late 1920s. In 1930, he met the widow Kathryn Thorne. They eventually married, and joined together to go on crime sprees of higher and higher magnitudes, robbing banks across the south and midwest. Kathryn was known to be a good shot with various firearms, and eventually bought a Thompson machine gun for her husband, earning him his nickname.
George and Kathryn robbed banks for years, gaining large amounts of money and notoriety. On July 22, 1933, the couple set out to kidnap Charles Urschel, an oil baron in Oklahoma City. They held him at the farm house of Kathryn’s stepfather Robert “Boss” Shannon in Wise County until the ransom of $200,000 was paid. However, in August the couple was caught and arrested. During one of the first court cases under the new Lindbergh law on kidnapping, George, Kathryn, and much of the Shannon family were given life sentences in prison, although boss was granted clemency after 11 years. George died of heart disease in Leavenworth Prison on July 18, 1954. George Barnes was buried here by Boss Sannon as nobody from George’s immediate family claimed the body
As one of the most visible programs of the Texas Historical Commission (THC), historical markers commemorate diverse topics in Texas history, including: the history and architecture of houses, commercial and public buildings, religious congregations, and military sites; events that changed the course of local and state history; and individuals who have made lasting contributions to the state, community organizations, and businesses.
In the early years, Wise County was primarily used for ranching and farming due to its fertile soil and abundant water supply. The arrival of the Fort Worth and Denver Railway in the late 1800s brought increased opportunities for trade and commerce, spurring economic growth in the region.
During the Civil War, Wise County remained divided between Unionists and Confederates, leading to some conflict within the county. After the war, the discovery of coal deposits in the area led to the establishment of coal mining towns, including Newark and Rhome. These towns ushered in a new era of industrialization and attracted more settlers to the county in search of employment.
In the early 20th century, Wise County experienced a decline in coal mining due to competition from other energy sources. However, the discovery of oil in the 1920s sparked a new economic boom. Today, Wise County remains a hub for oil and gas production, contributing significantly to the local economy. It also boasts a diverse agricultural industry and has become a popular destination for outdoor activities such as fishing, hunting, and hiking.
Wise County Timeline
This timeline provides a glimpse into the major events and milestones that have shaped the history of Wise County, Texas.
- 1856 - Wise County is established and named after Virginia Governor Henry A. Wise.
- 1860 - The first post office, called Taylorsville, is established in the county.
- 1867 - The county's first courthouse is built in Decatur, the county seat.
- 1873 - The Wise County Old Settlers Association is founded to preserve the county's history.
- 1882 - The Wise County Messenger, the county's oldest newspaper, is established.
- 1883 - The Fort Worth and Denver City Railway is completed, connecting Wise County to major cities.
- 1905 - The county's second courthouse, a grand Neoclassical building, is completed.
- 1920 - The oil boom hits Wise County, leading to increased drilling and economic growth.
- 1927 - The county's third courthouse, a Modern Classical structure, is completed.
- 1969 - Lake Bridgeport, a reservoir, is completed, providing water recreation opportunities.
- 2000 - The population of Wise County reaches over 48,000 people.
- 2015 - The Wise County Heritage Museum is established to showcase the county's history.