Historical Markers in
Eau Claire County, Wisconsin

2719 Addison Cutter House Adin Randall Anishinabe Akhi Augusta Veterans Memorial Bailey-Cass Curtis Bryon A. Buffington Home Carson Park Carson Park Baseball Stadium Charles Ingram House Christ Church Cathedral and Parish House City Hall City of Bridges Coghlan-Foote Daniel Shaw Lumber Company Dean-Griffin House Dells Mill Demmler House Donald I. "Sarge" Boyd Early Exploration and Settlement Eau Claire Eau Claire County Courthouse Square Eau Claire County Old Orchard Cemetery Eau Claire County War Memorial Eau Claire Public Library Eau Claire River Eau Claire’s Connection to the Soo Line Railroad Eichert - Pscheidt Eliza Parrant House Emma and Benjamin Stephanson House Fairchild War Monument First Congregational Church / Community House First Congregational Church Parsonage Fournier's Dancing Academy and Ballroom Henry Aaron / Eau Claire Baseball Herman T. Lange House Immigrants Industry on Half Moon Lake Iron Brigade J. D. R. Steven House John Pinkum House John S. Owen House Kaiser Lumber Company Office Katherine and James Wickham House Kinney House Legend of Paul Bunyan Lumber and Politics Luther Midelfort: A History of Caring Miria Gans House Mrs. Dewitt Clark House Old Abe of Co. C Orlando Brice House Ottawa House Owen's Gift to the City Petronilla and James T. Barber House Recreation on Half Moon Lake Roy Wilcox House Schlegelmilch McDaniel Schwahn House Sears Catalog House Silver Mine Ski Jump St. Joseph's Chapel Sumner Moon House Swift-Wing Home Temple of Free Masonry The Cobblestone House The Eau Claire River Suspension Bridge The Ice Industry on Half Moon Lake The Mittelstadt House The River Did Its Part The "Flume" Thomas McDermott House Waldemar Ager House Walter-Heins Water Street Webster-Van Hovenberg-Larson-Carpenter House William Christian Reinhard House Woltersdorf House "Haymarket Square" "The Log Flume"
The first American flag to be flown in a foreign battle was carried by Wisconsin troops during the Battle of Chapultepec in the Mexican-American War in 1847.

Eau Claire County, located in western Wisconsin, has a rich history dating back thousands of years. The area was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, including the Dakota, Ojibwe, and Ho-Chunk peoples. European settlement began in the early 1800s, with French and British fur traders traversing the region. The first permanent settlers, primarily of German and Norwegian descent, arrived in the mid-1800s, attracted by the area's vast forests and abundant water resources.

Eau Claire County was officially established in 1856, taking its name from the Eau Claire River that runs through the region. The county quickly grew and developed as logging became a prominent industry. Timber from the surrounding forests was floated down the river, providing an economic boom that led to the founding of towns and villages such as Eau Claire, Altoona, and Augusta. The logging era lasted until the late 1800s when most of the valuable timber had been harvested.

Following the decline of logging, agriculture emerged as a significant economic force in Eau Claire County. The fertile soil and favorable climate allowed for successful farming, particularly dairy farming. Cheese production became an important industry, and Eau Claire County became known as the "cheese capital" of the region. This agricultural heritage remains strong in the county to this day, with many farms still operating.

In the 20th century, Eau Claire County experienced further growth and diversification. The establishment of educational institutions, including the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, contributed to the county's development as an intellectual and cultural center. The local economy expanded beyond agriculture, with manufacturing, healthcare, and technology sectors playing significant roles. Today, Eau Claire County is a vibrant community that celebrates its history while embracing modern innovation and progress.

  • 1856 - Eau Claire County created
  • 1860 - Chippewa River Bridge constructed
  • 1884 - Eau Claire City Hall built
  • 1890 - Oakwood Mall established
  • 1922 - Carson Park developed
  • 1949 - Eau Claire State Teachers College renamed as University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire
  • 1966 - Paul Bunyan Logging Camp Museum opened
  • 1972 - Eau Claire County Courthouse constructed
  • 1997 - Eau Claire County Expo Center established