Historical Markers in
Hennepin County, Minnesota

1856 Federal Style Gideon H. Pond House 1st Infantry Division 1–Main Entrance Minnehaha Lower Glen 2019 East Lake: Burma Shave 2107 East Lake: Porky's Drive-In 2108-30 East Lake: Twin City Rapid Transit Lake Street Station and Car Yard 2217 East Lake: Axel's Lunch Room 2629 East Lake: Minnehaha Grill 2701 East Lake: International Order of Odd Fellows 2721-23 East Lake: Lake Theater 2730 East 31st Street: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church 2916 East Lake: East Lake Branch Library 3 – Master Map 3010 Minnehaha Avenue South: Fire Station No. 21 3012 Minnehaha Avenue South: Lauritzen Wagon and Blacksmith Shop 9/11 Memorial A Bridge to the Past Academic Health Center Architects and Engineers Building Basketball Fever in Wayzata Beneath the Surface Bicycle Paths Big Water / Stairway of Water Bloomington Town Hall Bridging the Mississippi Bridging the Stream Campus Design Changing Landscapes Changing the Shape of the Falls Christ Church Lutheran Christmas Lake Civil War Monument Coffman Memorial Union Col. John H. Stevens Coldwater Springhouse & Reservoir Colonel Josiah Snelling Como–Harriet Streetcar Line Continuing Education Cummins Homestead Dakota Life Dakota Missions on the Frontier Eagles Earle Brown and the Brooklyn Farm Eliza Winston Elizabeth R. Snelling Fair Oaks Fallen Heroes Memorial Father Hennepin Bluffs First School House Former Site of Plymouth Congregational Church Fort Snelling 1861–1946 Founders of Central Lutheran Church Four Marine Raider Battalions Memorial Fourth Marine Division Memorial Franklin Steele Garden Dedicated to Frances Pollard Geology of Lake Minnetonka Geology of Minnesota Geology of Minnesota George Washington Bi-Centennial Tree Giacomo Constantino Beltrami Gideon and Agnes Pond House Gunnar Wennerberg Harriet Bandshells / Our Park Legacy Hiawatha-Minnehaha Corridor Historic Milling District History of the Garden How the Dam Works In 1939, this was more than just a park. In Honor of All Who Served and Those Who Died Indians at the Falls John Harrington Stevens House Joseph N. Nicollet Longfellow School Loring Park: Basilica and Churches Loring Park: Historic Districts and Buildings Loring Park: Loring Greenway and Housing Loring Park: Neighborhood Organizing Loring Park: The Devil's Backbone Louis Hennepin Lucy Wilder Morris Main Street Builds Marcy~Holmes Milwaukee Avenue Historic District Minneapolis, Minnesota Minneapolis-Moline Minnehaha Depot Minnehaha Grange Hall Minnesota River Valley Minnetonka -- Queen of the Inland Lakes Missionaries to the Dakota Mississippi River New Uses for Old Mills Nicollet Island Businesses Oak Grove Mission Old Cahill School Old Portage Trail Opening Doors Original Millstone from the Washburn-Crosby Flour Mill Peavey Fountain Peter M. Gideon Peter M. Gideon and the Wealthy Apple Pettingill's Wonderful Water PFC. Jimmy Berray Phipps–Grill Families Pillsbury A Mill Playgrounds Pond Dakota Mission Park Pond Family Heritage Timeline Portaging Around the Falls Power on the East Side President Lyndon B. Johnson Prospect Park Water Tower Richard Chute Square Richfield Pioneer Homestead Roar of Waterfall, Rush of Rapids Rodney J. Putz Samuel W. and Gideon H. Pond Sawmilling: The City's First Industry Sesquicentennial Trees Snelling Avenue: African American Community Soldiers Memorial Spanish-American War Memorial Spanning the Sciences Sri Chinmoy Peace Bridge State Theatre Stepping Stone Between East and West Stone Arch Bridge Stone Arch Bridge - Great Northern Railway SurfSide Park Symbols on the Skyline The Ard Godfrey House The Armory Building / Military Training at the University The Barrel-Makers' Co-ops The Basilica of Saint Mary The Church of Our Lady of Lourdes The Crash of Flight 307 The Falls That Built the City The First Flag Raised Over Iwo Jima The Honoring All Veterans Memorial The House of John H. Stevens The Liberal Arts The Lock and Dam No. 1 Story The Pillsbury A Mill The Prairie The Quarry The Stone Arch Bridge The Washburn and Pillsbury Clans The West Side Milling District The Whirlpool The Winchell Trail The Winchell Trail The Woman's Club of Minneapolis U.S. Army, Buildings 17 and 18 USS Minneapolis (CA36) USS Minnesota (BB22) Veterans Monument Victory Memorial Drive Wayzata Depot Welcome to Fort Snelling State Park / A Moving Obstacle Welcome to the Historic Loring Park Neighborhood Wesley United Methodist Church Westminster Presbyterian Church Whiskey William de la Barre Wing Dams Wokiksuye K'a Woyuonihan Women in Science & Medicine Wonderland Amusement Park World War II Monument World War Memorial
Advertisement
The Mall of America, located in Bloomington, Minnesota, is the largest mall in the United States, with over 5.6 million square feet of retail space.
Hennepin County, located in the state of Minnesota, has a rich history that stretches back to prehistoric times. The area was originally inhabited by the Dakota Sioux Native American tribes, who thrived along the banks of the Mississippi River. European exploration and settlement began in the 17th century, when French fur traders arrived in search of valuable pelts. In the late 18th century, the region came under American control following the Louisiana Purchase, and the United States established Fort Snelling in 1820 to control the fur trade and maintain relations with the Native Americans.

The 19th century brought significant changes to Hennepin County, largely driven by industrialization and the growth of Minneapolis, its largest city. The construction of the Mississippi River locks in the 1860s allowed for easier navigation and trade, leading to a boom in lumber and flour milling industries. Minneapolis became known as the "Flour Milling Capital of the World" and attracted thousands of immigrants seeking work and opportunities. With its thriving industry, the city expanded rapidly, and Hennepin County became a center of commerce and culture.

The early 20th century brought further growth and development to Hennepin County. The region continued to prosper, with advancements in transportation, such as the construction of highways and railroads. The Twin Cities, Minneapolis and St. Paul, began to flourish as major metropolitan areas, attracting businesses, immigrants, and diverse communities. Hennepin County played a significant role during World War II, contributing to the war effort through manufacturing and defense industries.

In recent decades, Hennepin County has experienced continued growth and economic diversification. Minneapolis has evolved into a thriving hub for various industries, including technology, healthcare, and finance. The county has also emphasized sustainable development and environmental conservation, focusing on initiatives like green spaces, bike lanes, and public transportation. Today, Hennepin County is a vibrant, diverse community that blends its rich history with modern advancements, offering residents and visitors a wide range of opportunities and attractions.

This timeline provides a condensed summary of the historical journey of Hennepin County, Minnesota.

  • 1852: Hennepin County is established by the Minnesota Territorial Legislature.
  • 1855: The city of Minneapolis is incorporated within Hennepin County.
  • 1860: Hennepin County becomes the most populous county in Minnesota.
  • 1878: The Minneapolis City Hall is completed, becoming a notable landmark in Hennepin County.
  • 1883: The Hennepin County Library is founded.
  • 1893: Lake Minnetonka becomes a popular recreational destination in Hennepin County.
  • 1905: The Minnesota State Fairgrounds move from Ramsey County to Hennepin County.
  • 1926: The first major highway, the Theodore Wirth Parkway, is completed in Hennepin County.
  • 1957: The Interstate Highway 35W bridge is constructed, connecting Hennepin County with neighboring counties.
  • 1971: The Hennepin County Government Center is completed, housing various county administrative offices.
  • 2008: Hennepin County becomes the 34th most populous county in the United States.