First Presbyterian Church of WinnsboroHistorical marker location:
Organized in 1871, this church was chartered by the Rev. R. E. Sherrill with former members of the Presbyterian church in Webster (3 mi. SW). The first building for this church was a white frame structure built near the city cemetery on land given by early Winnsboro philanthropist Nancy Cook. In 1907 the congregation acquired this site, and a frame schoolhouse was moved here for use as a sanctuary. By 1953 a manse and fellowship hall had been built. Throughout its history, the church has played a vital role in the community life of Winnsboro. (1983)
As one of the most visible programs of the Texas Historical Commission (THC), historical markers commemorate diverse topics in Texas history, including: the history and architecture of houses, commercial and public buildings, religious congregations, and military sites; events that changed the course of local and state history; and individuals who have made lasting contributions to our state, community organizations, and businesses.