Historical Marker

Winkler County

Historical marker location:
FM 115 and 874, W of Kermit, Kermit, Texas
( In Sand Hills Park on FM 874, Jct West of Hwy. 115, 8 miles North of Kermit. Marker size: Pink Hwy. Marker. )

Formed from Tom Green County; created February 26, 1887. Organized April 5, 1910. Named in honor of C. M. Winkler, 1821-1882. Statesman, soldier and jurist. Kermit, the county seat a petroleum producing and cattle raising area. (1936)

Marker year: 1936

As one of the most visible programs of the Texas Historical Commission (THC), historical markers commemorate diverse topics in Texas history, including: the history and architecture of houses, commercial and public buildings, religious congregations, and military sites; events that changed the course of local and state history; and individuals who have made lasting contributions to our state, community organizations, and businesses.