Meadow United Methodist ChurchHistorical marker location:
Methodist worship services were held in this area as early as 1904 by the Rev. J. A. Sweeney, a pioneer West Texas circuit rider. On Feb. 1, 1920, the Rev. J. W. Baughman formally organized this congregation with 17 charter members. Services were held in the schoolhouse or in the Baptist church building until the members built their own sanctuary in 1922. The Meadow Methodist Church was long associated with the plains circuit, serving for a time as its headquarters. The congregation welcomed its first full-time pastor in 1951.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.
Marker year: 1986
As one of the most visible programs of the Texas Historical Commission (THC), historical markers commemorate diverse topics in Texas history, including: the history and architecture of houses, commercial and public buildings, religious congregations, and military sites; events that changed the course of local and state history; and individuals who have made lasting contributions to our state, community organizations, and businesses.