First Baptist Church of EldoradoHistorical marker location:
This congregation was organized by 15 charter members on September 1, 1901, and originally called the Eldorado Missionary Baptist Church. The day following its organization seven people, baptized in the South Concho River by the Rev. Ben Wilson, were added to the congregation. The first church structure was built at this site in 1906 on property donated by W. B. Silliman. A new sanctuary, built in 1928 to replace the 1906 structure, was remodeled in the 1960s. This church helped organize local minority Baptist churches and supports community-wide outreach and foreign missionary activities.
As one of the most visible programs of the Texas Historical Commission (THC), historical markers commemorate diverse topics in Texas history, including: the history and architecture of houses, commercial and public buildings, religious congregations, and military sites; events that changed the course of local and state history; and individuals who have made lasting contributions to our state, community organizations, and businesses.