Historical Marker

Marienfeld

Historical marker location:
Stanton, Texas
( Courthouse lawn st., Stanton. Marker size: 18" x 28". )

Former name of Stanton. Begun as German colony by 5 German Catholics from Kansas, who pitched tents here, near new Texas & Pacific Railroad in 1881.

The site -- with a water tank, section house, telegraph office bore name Grelton, but settlers had it changed to Marienfeld, German for "Field of Mary."

County was created 1876 and named for Wylie Martin, senator in Republic of Texas. When the county organized, town became county seat. First commissioners court met here December 13, 1884. Through Protestant influence, town was renamed Stanton, 1870. (1970)

Marker year: 1970

As one of the most visible programs of the Texas Historical Commission (THC), historical markers commemorate diverse topics in Texas history, including: the history and architecture of houses, commercial and public buildings, religious congregations, and military sites; events that changed the course of local and state history; and individuals who have made lasting contributions to our state, community organizations, and businesses.