Historical Marker

Follett

Historical marker location:
E. Ihanhoe St., Follett, Texas
( on E. Ivanhoe (SH 15), across from Methodist Church, Follett. Marker size: 20" x 20". )

A gateway to Texas Panhandle's "Golden Spread". Founded as "Ivanhoe", on a site across state line, in Oklahoma. Town moved twice to locate on a railroad. Situated here in 1917, and renamed for Horace Follett, railroad surveyor.

Economy based on wheat, cattle, grain sorghums and (since 1950's) oil and gas production.

(1967)

As one of the most visible programs of the Texas Historical Commission (THC), historical markers commemorate diverse topics in Texas history, including: the history and architecture of houses, commercial and public buildings, religious congregations, and military sites; events that changed the course of local and state history; and individuals who have made lasting contributions to our state, community organizations, and businesses.