First Deep Artesian WellHistorical marker location:
For many years, water scarcity stunted settlements in La Salle County. Wells and windmills failed to solve the problem. In 1910 at this site, Joseph Cotulla (1844-1923) explored and brought in artesian water from a depth of 2200 feet. Situated on his own ranch, the well provided amply for his household, livestock, and irrigated fields. His success led the city of Cotulla to bore its own artesian wells and generate prosperous civic growth. Joseph Cotulla's well at this site flowed for 52 years, until capped in 1962.
Marker year: 1978
As one of the most visible programs of the Texas Historical Commission (THC), historical markers commemorate diverse topics in Texas history, including: the history and architecture of houses, commercial and public buildings, religious congregations, and military sites; events that changed the course of local and state history; and individuals who have made lasting contributions to our state, community organizations, and businesses.