Simpson BuildingHistorical marker location:
After serving as manager of the Cameron lumberyard in Quanah and then as a general manager in Waco, L. Simpson began his own lumber company and returned to Quanah in 1906. In 1910, Simpson had this three-story commercial building constructed to house his offices; other local businesses, including the corner drug store from 1920 until 1998; and the elks lodge, which occupied the top floor. Featuring decorative brick detailing and a corner entry, the Simpson building is a significant part of Quanah's architectural heritage. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001
Marker year: 2001
As one of the most visible programs of the Texas Historical Commission (THC), historical markers commemorate diverse topics in Texas history, including: the history and architecture of houses, commercial and public buildings, religious congregations, and military sites; events that changed the course of local and state history; and individuals who have made lasting contributions to our state, community organizations, and businesses.