J. A. Baker StoreHistorical marker location:
Opened 1894; one of the Texas South Plains' oldest mercantile houses still owned by founding family. James Artemas Baker (1859-1917), founder of this store and town of Lockney, was born near Dallas and lived in Hamilton from 1879 to July 1890, when he moved here. Acting postmaster in 1893, and serving by appointment 1894-1901, he freighted and, with help of his wife Alice, ran this store, selling hardware, sundries, dry goods, groceries. Town also relied on Baker's store safe for banking in the early days. After frame building burned, this structure was erected 1914. (1971)
Marker year: 1971
As one of the most visible programs of the Texas Historical Commission (THC), historical markers commemorate diverse topics in Texas history, including: the history and architecture of houses, commercial and public buildings, religious congregations, and military sites; events that changed the course of local and state history; and individuals who have made lasting contributions to our state, community organizations, and businesses.